Wednesday, June 17, 2015

It Happened Like This ...

(The Craig's List photo. Mine came out too dark.)


"Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you."   ... Colossians 3:13


******


So.

We terribly needed a big hutch for our home office with both visible and invisible storage for nearly 4 years. Instead, we've used a set of Craftsman shelves which I've never shown you because they only look good with books. 

We had everything but books on them. 

No, just Tom's battery-operated drills, tool boxes, big, ugly white binders filled with powerhouse information, winter gloves and hats, die-cast cars, battery chargers, boxes of canned fireplace fuel and so much more.

Well, even though I told Tom for eons that we should get new carpet before the hutch (so no one would have to move it twice), he bought a (huge) Craig's List hutch anyway because it was local and only $100. And he went to the person's house alone, without telling me where/when, which is something else I've asked him not to do 300 times, Today's crazy world being what it is.

I tried not to go ballistic, really I did. (Being a first-born, it's in my very nature to hate bothering people, like the poor, overworked carpet movers/layers.) But I must be one eternal optimist because I truly thought Tom would wait until after we got the new carpet and that he'd take me with him to see a potential hutch. We've been married 36 years and Tom still, every once in awhile, does exactly the opposite of the wise thing I ask him.

So what's a girl to do? Realize sometimes a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do. Then forgive him. Keep praying that, as a couple, your ideas of wisdom will some day match up. And just love him anyway, keeping in mind that you, yourself, sometimes do the same ol' things you've done for 36 years, as well.  

And then just let it go.  :)




******






It wasn't enough yesterday that I did more packing and moved those Craftsman shelves into Tom's room and moved a Morris chair and little dresser out and who knows what else. No, I had to go and paint the little dresser and place it in our kitchen like an island.

More drawers in there! This is the season of finally adding the storage we've needed at Hobbit Cottage since 2011. I can tell we're cooperating with Grace, because it's not as tiresome as it could be. Mostly.  :)






******


Never forget the three powerful resources you always have available to you: love, prayer, and forgiveness.



******




Are these adorable or what? Another yard sale find--they look perfect above our kitchen sink.



******


Free Kindle Books:


A Dream Unfolding

Procrastination

The Lumberjacks' Ball


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love this, Debra! You know, it reminds me of one time my parents (who had been married 50 years at the time) had a discussion about a tree. Mom said, "don't take down the tree". Dad cut down the tree. Mom told me... "I was SO mad about it, but then I stepped back and thought, I'm not gonna let a TREE throw a kink into my marriage!" You won't believe how many times I have thought about the tree thing over the years, and now have even shared the little incident with my sons and my daughter in law... They would tell you that my mantra is most definitely, "let it go". :) By the way, the hutch looks great!!!! What a steal for $100! :-)

Pam said...

The hutch looks like a great piece of furniture, Deb. You'll have everything arranged and rearranged in no time. That being said, I think Tom needs to promise to include you on all future purchases. (At least he has good taste...I can't even imagine what my hub would haul home!!)Men...such mysteries!!

Bonnie said...

Oh my gosh I have only myself to blame. You've been so busy at your house! I haven't been over to visit in close to 3 weeks. I'm all caught up now with your posts and thanks, as always, for your calming influence, Debra. Firstly, thanks again for always reminding us to be patient with our husbands. I really needed to read this today. Do they not hear? Not remember? Not care? Wish to go along with their own plan and apologize later? I don't know. But I stay quiet a lot more now. Why make it worse. And carpeting! Congratulations! You are just chock full of energy, woman! You must be happy as a clam. A happy heart gets a lot done with ease. And thanks in the past posts for a glimpse of your lilac and your peony bushes. My favorites, but not California tolerant. No doubt you've heard of our drought here. With happy hearts we (mostly my sweet husband) is making lots of changes to our sprinklers/anything water, to comply with our new mandate from the state. We are flower and grass lovers, so we can't lose it, we just have to be wise with what they'll allow us to use. We baby our vegetable garden. Gives we empty nester's something to do anyway! Alright, well Happy Carpet Installation, and Happy Father's Day to Tom! Our children are our greatest treasure. I was just counting my blessings tonight. :)