Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Growing Older. Sometimes It's Awesome.


"The Lord does not look at the things people look at. People look at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.”   ... 1 Samuel 16:7


*****
When I peer outside my windows it still resembles the North-Pole-On-a-Bad-Day, but at least the sun tried to shine this morning through the clouds. I appreciated that. Yesterday we had 12 hours of dreary.

There are nice things about growing older, you know. Like, all that white ice out there? Because I've been around a long time, I'm assured that someday springtime-green trees and lawns will glow and the river will turn blue instead of oh-hum grey. By experience, I know how it works.

Other truths I know in my mid-50's? If I have an occasional Rated R dream at night, no longer can satan or an accusatory part of my brain say, "See? See? You're a bad, bad woman, after all." (And I used to feel guilty for hours.)

But now, older-lady-me knows I have never done those things in real life and that's what matters. I am more than weird sub-conscious dreams. Much more.

If anyone were to suggest that I kicked an old lady, robbed a bank or swore at another driver, I can now, in my 'advanced age' reply (or calmly know inside),"No, God and I know I've never done those things in all my decades. And I haven't started to lately, either."

Of course, my younger self did do some extremely silly things. It's hard to reach 30 (or so) without ever having been an idiot. And my older self still can mess up at times, being human and all. I've found that relatives, especially, remember those times with keen clarity. :)

But even there, in this fifth decade, a calm assurance has grown within me. God's patience is so strong, so forgiving and utterly heart-changing and He tosses my sins into Forgetfulness Lake. I know this now. And if others go dragging that lake for what God dropped there (forever), that's their problem. And mine, if I fish around there also. But why do that? Why rescue what God let die?

In getting older and walking with God longer, there grows a calm, stress-releasing assurance. A knowing that He'll not sneak downstairs and out the front door one night as you sleep. No, He'll always sit beside your bed, watching you sleeping in the moonlight, loving you still. 

You know this because that's the kind of friend He has become.









*****


" ...for the accuser of our brothers has been thrown down, who accuses them day and night before our God."   ... Revelation 12:10


 "I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh."   ... Ezekiel 36:26


*****

As of this writing, The Antelope In The Living Room is still free for your Kindle. The author's sense of humor is a delight!   

**** Nope, no longer free. I hope you got a copy while it was. ****


*****

No comments: