Saturday, November 22, 2014

Of Burt, His Bees and Conventional Books Never Written


"Now there is great gain in godliness with contentment, for we brought nothing into the world, and we cannot take anything out of the world. But if we have food and clothing, with these we will be content."   ... 1 Timothy 6:6-8


*****

Wow. Tom and I just finished watching the most interesting (dare I say fascinating?) documentary at Netflix; Burt's Buzz, a film about the quirky, eccentric co-founder of Burt's Bees products.

Except that Burt doesn't seem quirky and eccentric to me. Each word he spoke made perfect sense, especially since he's a classic introvert, albeit an outdoorsy one. I totally get him. Totally.

And truthfully? This was yet another film/life on a screen which illustrates why I don't want to write a book. At least, not the type attached with an agent/publicist who could legally whisk me away from this life I've chosen to write about. You know, so he/she could sell more copies.

Uh, no. I desire nothing that would change 'what God hath wrought' and what He's wrought is a happy homemaker who's in love with Him and the simple life He led her to find at one Hobbit Cottage.

May I never be dragged away from here unwillingly as Burt sometimes is from the simple life he prefers.


*****

“Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it."

[Thoughts from Places: The Tour, Nerdfighteria Wiki, January 17, 2012]” 
― John Green




“It's not that introverts aren't good team players. We just don't need to be in the same room as the rest of the team at all times. We would much prefer to have part of the project carved out for us to squirrel away with it in our offices, consulting as necessary but working independently.” 
― Sophia DemblingThe Introvert's Way: Living a Quiet Life in a Noisy World



*****



Weather Report: We've still had just 3 or 4 inches of snow here north of Buffalo. But now the problem for the South Towners is that our temps are rising, it's raining, and flooding is on everyone's minds. Your prayers would be appreciated by all, I'm sure!


*****

Don't have time to watch the documentary about Burt? Here's an article about it.

4 comments:

Judy said...

We've had 28 inches of snow already this month. Presently, it is melting. What a mess!

I feel all whiny about everything right now. A good time for me to just be quiet!

Pam said...

Never really knew the story of Burt, but enjoy using his products. Laughed when he said, "...a good day is when no one shows up and you don't have to go anywhere." Kinda how I feel most of the time.Thanks for sharing his story.

mabeane said...

Please be prepared to go to higher ground if that lovely little river floods.

Debra said...

Judy--28 inches already! Definitely too early for all that where you are. Sigh. I noticed today that I'm going through my annual adjustment to winter... always takes time. But we'll make it through, right? So glad you are back online!

Pam--that was my favorite line of Burt's also! (Great minds...). Glad you liked his story!

Aw MaBeane... we live in a safe place, thankfully. Thanks for caring about us, though! I appreciate that.

Thanks, All!.... Debra