Friday, October 17, 2014

They're Not Gonna Suck *Me* In!


Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. ... Philippians 4:6-7
*****
Good grief. The News lately is working overtime in their scaremonger role, trying to frighten us all out of our minds. Although, of course, they call it keeping us informed.
Riiiight.

Ebola. Enterovirus. Terrorism. The Stock Market. Accidents. Hurricanes. The Polar Vortex. Global Warming. Earthquakes. Burglaries. The Economy. Murders. Kidnappings and other Very Bad, We're-All-Gonna-Die stuff.

Well, hey. Monday through Friday I watch a half hour of our local news, 20 minutes of a National morning news show and I read the occasional interesting Yahoo news article online. And then I go live my vintage-ish life.

I do not soak in a News Bathtub all day long beneath fear bubbles.

Are you kidding? No, God told us over and again in the Bible to fear not, but rather, trust Him in all things and when I reach Heaven's shores I don't want regrets that I played the role here of Big Worry Wart. No, I'm aiming to be grateful that--though it (regrettably) took a few decades--I ended my journey trusting that God would take good care of me, even when the world became all screwed-up beyond repair.

God is huge, after all, and will always be greater and able to handle any very bad thing down here. And may no fear ever multiply so wildly inside my head that it pushes that assurance right out. 

May I instead pray, talk it over with God, do what I can--then move on to live this abundant life Jesus died to give me.




*****

"The thief comes only in order to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may haveand enjoy life, and have it in abundance (to the full, till it [a]overflows)."   ... John 10:10

"And to aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one."   ... 1 Thessalonians 4:11,12

"Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me."   ... Psalm 23:4


*****


Again--I stay informed, but I refuse to stay scared, which means that when Grace says, "You've watched/read enough News," I obediently step away and get back to living life. 

Learning to recognize Grace was one of the greatest lessons, ever.


*****

Tom and I have a bigger cable package, but no DVR. Yet we do have Primetime on Demand and boy oh boy, do we early-to-bed folks appreciate watching the primetime shows any time we wish! Our current new favorites that we'd never before seen?

Chicago Fire
Chicago PD
Gracepoint
Resurrection
Scorpion


*****

Find this weekend's Savingstar freebie here.

*****

Free Kindle books:


Finding God When You Need Him Most

With Autumn's Return

Billow Creek Bride

Mason Jar Meals

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

Amen! As I always say "God is still in control"