Monday, August 04, 2014

Unforgiveness or Happiness? We Can't Have Both.


"But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins"   ...  Matthew 6:15

*****.

Kristi left a great comment after my last post:


"I believe people often act the way we think they will. Not always, of course, but often. And if we show that we think they are good people, they often live up to that expectation...."


And yes! I totally agree. But I also agree with her, "Not always, of course, but often," statement because oh dear! Down through the years-- occasionally-- some people who'd I'd only shown kindness toward, suddenly turned on me (moi!), accusing me of things I'd not even thought of. Afterward I felt shaken, upset and perhaps even dangerously close to a physical form of shock.

But I had to forgive them, even try to understand their anger, because a long time ago I determined that I would enjoy this life which Jesus died to give me:

" I (Jesus) came that they may have and enjoy life, and have it in abundance (to the full, till it [a]overflows)."   John 10:10

There is no joy in unforgiveness. No sweet, minute-by-minute communion with God as you wash your dishes or mow your lawn. No walking down the supermarket aisle brushing away grateful tears nor looking up into the sky and feeling like you might burst.

No, we only mock God when we attempt to get around reaping what we have sown, when we try choosing not to forgive and peace, when we let the sun go down over and over upon our anger anyway. Unforgiveness blocks joy, distorts our view of Life and ruins what could have been grateful, happy decades.

And I've made the decision that nothing--no accusation, no friend walking away, no relative refusing to speak to me--will destroy who I've become or my most favorite, life-giving relationship of all.

I'm determined to let nothing ruin these few years I've been given upon this planet, especially when Jesus provided a way to so enjoy each one.






*****

"Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you."   ... Ephesians 4:32






" Though you do not now see him, you believe in him and rejoice with joy that is inexpressible and filled with glory..."   1 Peter 1:8





I firmly believe a great many prayers are not answered because we are not willing to forgive someone.
    Author: D.L. Moody

I can forgive, but I cannot forget, is only another way of saying, I will not forgive. Forgiveness ought to be like a cancelled note - torn in two, and burned up, so that it never can be shown against one.
    Author: Henry Ward Beecher

******

Were you as mesmerized by the Grey Gardens documentary as I was?  Or the movie with Drew Barrymore? Well, my friend Donna ( who came over and visited me last week!) sent me the coolest link to what Grey Gardens looks like today. Oh me of little faith! I'd never have thought it could be returned to such a lovely state (or even better than new).  Click on the words, 'Grey Gardens Estate' for many incredible photos.


***


Free Kindle books:


Stunning Portrait Photography

Echoes of an Angel

The Jane Austen Collection

Money Management Makeover

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is so true, Debra! I've had to do a fair amount of forgiving in my lifetime, but then Jesus reminds us we must forgive "seventy times seven". I may not forget some of the events that have happened to me (although I do think I've happily forgotten a LOT)but forgiving is freedom.

Debra said...

Susan--loved how you said 'forgiving is freedom'! Sooo true and I think we'd all forgive more readily if we'd remember that. If we'd realize we'll be in bondage until we forgive(!). Thanks for commenting! Blessings, Debra