Monday, June 30, 2014

Vacation Tales


"Let your character be free from the love of money, being content with what you have; for He Himself has said, "I will never desert you, nor will I ever forsake you...'"   ... Hebrews 13:5

*****

I'm loving my vacation!

There's been lots of resting and tv watching and not cooking real dinners. 

And then one afternoon, sunlight fell across a simple jadeite mug and reminded me of beach glass and summertime and that's what made me crawl up on my counter top to do this:



(Darn ol' cobwebs anyway.)

Then I put my rooster collection all in one place instead of scattered around the house. (You'll see a few African things I've forgotten to show you.)




While simultaneously staring out our new picture window, I'm watching The X-Files (not the 'spirit episodes', tho') and The Middle, a quirky combination probably altering my brain in odd--but pleasant--ways. 

I've taken extra trips to the supermarket and Dollar Tree (so nice to have the car on weekdays) and Tom and I Skype each day around 1:30. I'm hoping to visit with a couple friends soon, get over to Home Depot and visit the nearby movie theater. And this house feels absolutely full of people, what with God and Grace and Daniel and Sammy The Cats and all of you inside my computer and my heart.

Lots of my friends are whisking away to exotic, real vacations, but I've not had one of those since 2010 (remember our train adventure?). I could complain about that, but why? For I believe that old saying: 

"We do the things we really want to do. One way or another." 

So if I truly wanted to go on a getaway vacation, I'd find a way to do it... and I won't whine and complain or make excuses when I don't. I'll live peacefully with my choices.

You might disagree with that old saying, but that's ok. In a hundred areas of Life, I keep finding it to be true for myself. I keep making ways to do all the most important-to-me things--and that can be very, very telling.


It's the time of the opening of the day lilies.


" Those who live in the shelter of the Most High 
will find rest in the shadow of the Almighty."   ... Psalm 91:1



*******

Free kindle books:


The Language of Sparrows

Trailersteading 

It's a God Thing

The Other Daughter

Extraordinary Lessons From an Ordinary Life

*****





4 comments:

Rosemary said...

Debra, i've found the next best thing to "taking" a real vacation is to start "planning" one (however distant in the future it may occur). I love to browse the vacation rental websites like VRBO and just dream about vacationing in a cabin by a stream with front porch rockers or maybe a cute seaside cottage in a fishing village. Try it and see for yourself...

Pam said...

Away vacations are nice, but home is definitely where my heart is! Learning to be content with what we've been given is a good life lesson, and I want to learn it. Your home and yard looks lovely, Debra. Praying for you and your family.

Anonymous said...

Hi Debra, love your daylilies, everything is looking so green! Not cooking big meals is the best part! Envious of Naomi getting to visit Germany-so exciting. Joyce in TX.

Terra said...

Your words are wise and I think you and I could be buddies and share a tea or coffee together and chat away. Have a lovely staycation, I like those too. I like your green china, lovely color.