Friday, January 17, 2014

It's True. You're Not Enough.




“God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him.”
John Piper




****


As I do occasionally, yesterday I went on A Great Search For Amazing Blogs. In my hunt, I discovered a (Christian) blogger who wrote about often feeling she and her blog are not enough for her readers.


She received many comments from sad, like-minded women who usually feel defeated about not being enough for others.


Did I set them all straight? Nah, I waited to give my 2 cents to you here:


No blogger was ever meant to be enough for all the people. Why? God won't let us. He won't allow any of us--non-bloggers and otherwise--to be everything to everyone. He won't even allow us to be everything to our own spouse.


What?!!


Because only God, Himself, will ever be enough for any of us. Only He can meet every deepest need and if we, ourselves, attempt to be that to anyone, we are trying the impossible, wasting our time and are, frankly, in error.


Call me crazy, but it's a welcome relief for me to realize that I and this blog will never be enough.  How calming to know God doesn't expect me to have ready answers for all people all of the time! 


No, He just asks that I listen to Him, share with you what I heard, then point you toward where He is standing. You know, so you can run to Him, spend quality time with Him, fall in love with Him. And then have your deepest needs met, causing you to overflow and dance ... then go about sharing with others what you experienced.


Simple. No personal flogging, doubting and trying-till-I-die involved. No forcing, dreading or head-hanging in shame about not being enough. Uh, no. I'll never be enough ... but I know the One who always will be.


Just loving God, obeying Him, then pointing others to Him in God-designed, unique ways.


Loving, obeying, pointing.


Those will always be enough.











“When we are passionately in love with our Prince, we put Him above all else--not just in theory, but also practically, in every moment of our day-to-day lives. We do not live for the applause of heaven. Our longings are not for people's approval but only for more and more of Him. We are marked by an effortless, unshakable strength that is found in the presence of our perfect Lover.”  


Leslie Ludy, Authentic Beauty: The Shaping of a Set-Apart Young Woman


******


"You Shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your strength. And love your neighbor as yourself."


*****


Today I am rewatching my America's Heart and Soul dvd, another perfect it's-winter-but-I-can-still-travel-this-way thing. Always inspiring! If you love gorgeous autumnal photography, farms, the countryside, travel, mountains, music and watching people live with passion no matter what the Country is doing, well, you'll love this. It can be found at Netflix by way of discs through the mail or through amazon.com.






****


Hooray! If you've ever wanted to read/own David Grayson's books, now's your chance. Amazon.com has five of his books free (as of today) for your kindle. Go here to find some of the most helpful-for-your-blood-pressure books anywhere!


(Thanks again, Judy!)


***


"And God is able to give you more than you need, so that you will always have all you need for yourselves and more than enough for every good cause."   ... 2 Corinthians 9:8







3 comments:

Roger Crassi said...

AMEN! Well said, Debra. It was a hard lesson for me to learn in the pastorate. The Holy Spirit rescued me. Thank you, JESUS!

Anonymous said...

It is true...none of us are enough for even one other person!! ONLY GOD can fill that part of a person that is empty without HIM!!

Elizabeth in NC

Pam B said...

So true, Debra. We can't even take the next breath without God's grace, but when we are weak, He is strong.