Friday, August 23, 2013

A Post Card From My Vacation





"But godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it. But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that."   ... 1 Timothy 6:6-8

*****
So. This week has found me sitting on our pretty red couch (feeling like a queen, nearly) and taking a bit of a 'healing vacation' while watching scandalous amounts of (netflixed) Law and Order: Criminal Intent, the Goren and Eames episodes, only (why didn't you tell me these were so super?) and just doing around Hobbit Cottage what must be done, lest it cave in upon itself (ha).

Everyone needs occasional times like those, especially we who oh-so-rarely take real vacations or even get out of the house. 

I've had a marvelous time, except when I've had to hush my head about feeling guilty for all this apparent laziness. "Want to go insane?", I ask myself. "In Today's pretty-dreadful world, a smart person takes time off for her sanity. All she can steal."

You know, rather like, "Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it."  ... Proverbs 4:23

Dare I say, "Guard your head" works in there, too? Life today--it's getting impossible to live it well and joyfully without a complete throwing of oneself upon the shoulder of God.

Anyway. Did you see that green table, above? Yesterday I decided I hated it. Well, where it was, anyway, and I couldn't think of anywhere else in the entire house to put it. But after I actually lugged it outside to the porch (while seriously considering moving to a bigger house!) the solution came to me in a light bulb moment. 

And now I'm back to loving the table, the house and my life here. Not only does each piece seem to click nicely there, but they cover all the holes and the wires/cords streaming out that back piece.



And ooooh... There'll be no more thoughts of moving to a larger place, for do I really need more space? No, what I need is more creative imagination and a make-the-most-of-what-I-have spirit. More common sense, also ( often I feel overwhelmed by the work in this tiny place, so I want a larger one?!) ... and more old-fashioned contentment.

Valuable head-saving, money-saving, sanity-saving stuff. Truly.

*********



Why are there books way up on top of the entertainment center? Because Daniel The Cat kept bang! Jumping up there from the table, startling us each time and making us worry that he'd fall off. Cats.... always something.

*********


Another incredible book I've reread countless times? The Endless Steppe. Remarkable, at least I've found it so.

Oh! And has anyone recently read any of the books or watched any of the shows I've recommended? If so, I'd love to hear your thoughts, good, bad or indifferent--doesn't matter. :)

******
Changes are inevitable and not always controllable. What can be controlled is how you manage, react to and work through the change process.”
Kelly A. Morgan




1 comment:

Rosemary said...

Love the way you decorate, Debra, using things you already have and mixing and matching. Haven't read or watched any of your recent recommendations but I do jot the titles down. Hopefully, I will get to some of them soon. Many thanks for sharing them.