Friday, November 16, 2012

The Gift Outside My Window

"My heart leaps for joy and I will give thanks to him in song."   ... Psalm 28:7

*******

One afternoon last week before I headed down our stairs, I mini-paused at my library window (as I always do) and oh! You won't believe what I saw.

I'll share it anyway.

Two young women, around 18-ish, were dancing Ginger-Rogers-meets-a-cheerleader style down my street! 

Their long blond ponytails swayed and I could almost hear their laughter as one of the ladies leaped into a pile of leaves before high-kicking them into the air. Both women threw back their heads, eyes to the sky and sang (though I could not hear them) and continued skipping, clapping, twirling, heading down the street toward their home.

They even performed upon their porch steps (ala Shirley Temple and Bill Robinson, I thought), and along the porch, still singing. One of them opened the front door and with a hand flourish, stood aside and motioned for her friend to enter, which she dancingly did. Then after a bit of tap dancing, this last young lady skipped inside the door and closed it.Then the dance ended. 

But my smile remained for hours. 

And pardon my wistfulness, but while I descended our stairs, I wished that all Christians everywhere felt the light-heartededness of those girls.
That they, also, could dance down streets simply because we walk by faith, not by sight, even in 2012.

I would never, ever tire of watching such life, such joy, no matter how often it went waltzing down my street. And I'm thinking God would never tire of seeing all that trust, either.





*********

"... but all too quickly the message is crowded out by the worries of this life, the lure of wealth, and the desire for other things, so no fruit is produced."   ... Mark 4:19


"But I trust in your unfailing love; my heart rejoices in your salvation."   ... Psalm 13:5


**************

Oh! Tom and I discovered a marvelous tv series at Netflix, one so unique, with shades of my much-appreciated shows, Early Edition, Numb3rs and Person of Interest. It's called Touch, stars Keifer Sutherland, and the first 4 episodes were awesome

The show illustrates how we're all more connected than we think and I couldn't help but consider how often our obedience to God sends out good ripples across our lives and the lives of others. and how--if we don't do what we're called to do--the world changes, others miss out and Life falls short of what it could have been. For many.

**************

3 comments:

Sara said...

Love this!!!

Elizabeth said...

Very nice,just reading the post brought a smile to my face,thanks Debra

terricheney said...

We slipped away to St. Augustine last week. Friday was the only day that had any sun at all and as we sat on the balcony, along comes a young woman and her doggie. We watched as she did yoga, tai chi, gave the dog a nice choppy massage, plie-ed and stretched and kickboxed. I was annoyed at first (judgement you know) but as she kept on with her movements I realized that I was watching a young woman who just plain loved her body and the way it moved. Evidenced by her eventual exit from our beach pier and her DANCE all the way back up the beach from whence she'd come, complete with twirls under said doggy's leash. I am still awed and smiling and grateful I had the opportunity to see it all, grateful too that stinking 'judge' shut up and watched!