Friday, January 23, 2009



Oh good grief.

Here's an anonymous comment I chose not to publish (at first) because this is exactly what I said not to do in my last post:


"... let me see if I understand what Obama's done so far. We won't torture bad guys who want to blow up our buildings and planes and take innocent American lives, but we will make money available for the killing of unborn innocent humans (abortion). In addition, he's also beginning WWIII by the swift removal of our (volunteer) troops." (Anonymous)




Here's a hint to whoever wrote those words: leaving a comment like that in my email box will not change our government's way of doing things. No, really, it won't! Surprise, surprise. As I wrote yesterday, complaining is the easy way and the easy way is nearly never the path to huge change.

How about if you try these ideas next time, instead?

Become extremely educated in exactly what's happening in the area which most concerns you. Read and study much. Watch what's happening in our world, closely. There's nothing worse, nothing more humiliating, and nothing which makes all conservatives look just plain idiotic than people passionately shouting words which are not true.

Write (educated and informed) letters to your congressmen and state senators voicing your concerns. Or call them. Encourage others to do so.

Comment (calmly, with facts, please) after online news articles which allow you to do so. Respect others' rights to disagree with you and never resort to name-calling, which only destroys any credibility you may have gained.

Make a protest sign and march with it downtown with others who share your beliefs. Or march with a sign in a protest-legal area alone, by yourself, for all to see. I dare you.

Befriend those people who believe differently than you do. Get to know your neighbors. Get to understand them. Become a loving influence in their lives and maybe they will change their ideas. Or maybe they won't. But at least you will have made friends and become a person who can disagree without becoming miserably disagreeable (and friendless).

Self-publish a book of all your research and your most passionate beliefs.

Pray like you have never prayed before. And while on your knees, ask God for more compassion for those who have not yet met Him. Go on a fast if God directs you to do so.

Read your Bible and make certain your beliefs line-up with God's.

Run for public office or volunteer to help those who are already there.

Form a group. Meet regularly to brainstorm and encourage one another.

Create a blog where you can freely share your beliefs and find others who do, as well. But be prepared to hear from people who believe the opposite. As they say, "if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen."

Send out a monthly snail-mail newsletter as an educational tool, one which will encourage others, too. Or send monthly email newsletters.

And never, ever forget this:

"If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing." (1 Corinthians 13:1-3)


You never know. If we're not acting responsibly? It just may be the reason many people are not listening to us.



*****

8 comments:

Queen of France said...

i agree with your post - and yet...and yet sometimes think that there is a time to rise up and speak out - even as your commenter did and get people to think...even if sarcasm is used. There is is a time for everything, no? And am doing those things now (ok..not published a book...yet! LOL).

jodi said...

I think that so many people see conservatives as loving the unborn but not the born. An attitude of you must now believe as I do and if you don't I can't/won't have anything to do with you.

Liberals are seen as people with no morals as they swing from the chandeliers.

I got an email when Obama was elected president that was supposed to prove that he was the anti-christ. A radio talk show host was making plans to leave his city by motorcycle and airplane because he knew that there would be terrorism on inauguration day.
One commentator on TV was talking about how no one is safe now. So much fear (and a little bit of crazy) going on.

Your idea of being informed is so right on. Read much. Talk to people. Pray that you are on the right track. Question if the people that you are listening to are on the right track. Be responsible.

I look forward to reading what others say.

Anonymous said...

Hi--thank you for this post. I'm one of those liberals that is apparently *ruining the world*. :) So, we don't agree on politics. But I love reading your blog. People have more in common than they sometimes know. I think it's perfectly reasonable to respectfully disagree on points without attacking the other person. Educated, earnest conversation wins over more people than insults any day.

Anonymous said...

Oh no Debra!
Don't listen to comments like these.
The internet is the only place some people get to blow off steam and therefore some people go over board.
Be blessed!

Kay-The Rustic Cottage said...

Don't you just love Anonymous comments? My feeling is that if you're going to say it then show your name. I delete Anonymous comments from my blog.

Keep up the good work spreading your positive message!

oma aka meme said...

I understand your words fully as on many of the groups it is now a Ob....... rant- yes- bad things will happen in his turn at the bat too- sigh- but prayer is what will change him- in God's time and not ours-
we need to get to praying so that the words we speak are christ thoughts- if we get on our hign horse rather than our knees God cannot move- praying in Canada where we have had these same problems for years ----sigh
hugs from Meme

Judy said...

Oh, Debra!

Again, I just must say, I LOVE YOU!

Thanks for saying that.

K.E. said...

Hear hear!