Saturday, May 10, 2008

Ah, Motherhood!


Ah motherhood. At age 19 I thought I was one with-it, spiffy, got-it-all-together young woman. At age 20 I had a baby and that was the last time I had those thoughts.

Few things in Life are more humbling than having a child. Few things in this Life are more worth-it, more incredible, more soul-changing than raising a child of your own.

And few things in Life are harder, more challenging and more gut-shaking and thought-rearranging than allowing that child to become a real-live, on-her-own adult.

And for all of you who know exactly what I'm trying to say, I wish each of you a very happy Mother's Day.


*****


“But kids don't stay with you if you do it right. It's the one job where, the better you are, the more surely you won't be needed in the long run.” 
― Barbara KingsolverPigs in Heaven

3 comments:

Pat said...

Beautifully put.
Happy Mothers Day to you!!

daisymarie said...

Happiest of Mother's Days to you, too!

Jammie J. said...

Happy Mother's Day. :)