Saturday, July 01, 2006

You Never Know...



Tom and I went to three yard sales this morning. 

The first two were what we fondly call Great Big Wastes of Time and Gas. But then at the third sale, voila! I found these two adorable old paintings/prints (above) for just $3. One has a date of 1923. I love these.

Just goes to show--you never know.

My friend, Laura, called early this morning to see if I wanted to go to a local town's Garden Walk, to which I replied yes! So after the yard sales, Laura came and whisked me away to an old 1800's town on a lake's edge and we stepped into people's lovely yards where they'd created cozy sitting places on old awning-covered patios and made brightly-flowered dreams comes true for themselves and for us who they kindly allowed to trespass (which felt like pure guilty pleasure).

For two hours we wandered and dreamed for our unimaginative yards at home and came away terribly inspired. We had lunch on a restaurant's deck overlooking the lake and then went and saw the movie, The Lake House, which Laura had not yet seen, but which I'd watched with Tom just last Monday. But the lovely thing was--I felt as though again, I was seeing that romantic movie for the first time.

A perfect day, we both agreed. A perfect early birthday celebration for Laura, a 4th of July baby.

When I awoke this morning, I thought it would be an average Saturday--but I should have known better. A day is only average if I make it that way.

And really, you never know what a day will hold. May I stop expecting nothing and getting just that. May I see all my mornings through mists of happy anticipation.



******

No comments: