Saturday, January 14, 2006

Oh, The Stress of It All...




So there I was in the sauna-like waiting room all day yesterday while Tom had surgery on his arm.

 I wrote little descriptive blog posts in my head to you while sitting at a Bistro table in the window drinking the free coffee(!) spiked with my cappucino powder from my purse. 

Anyway, I sat there gratefully feeling your prayers. Truly, it made the whole ordeal a bit easier, especially when the surgeon came out and said he'd found more torn ligaments and cartilage than he'd seen in the x-rays, but he'd been able to, as far as he could tell, repair the whole big mess.

But then I brought Tom home.

It was deja vu of his neck surgery four years ago, you know, the part where every minute he needs me to do three things for him all at one time (while the cats need to be fed and Lennon needs his insulin shot and I need to run to the store for ice for the little ice machine), and the stress makes me feel as though I'm in an episode of 24 where every decision is a split-second one and if I mess-up, the world will be destroyed--and it will be all my fault.

Yikes.

Yep, deja vu of four years ago. But you know? It's ok. It's all done for the man I love and at least he's still here with me. It's only for a season and besides, it's only these first two or three days and long nights which will be rough. And someday, this too, will be just a memory as the other surgeries now are.

And if I can remember this, too, shall pass and that God is with me? All will be well. In time.


***


P.S. I'd keep adding to this, but I've gotta run and wash the dishes which are piling up faster in my sink than the snow outside, snow which I will later shovel out of our driveway...


******

No comments: