Tuesday, October 24, 2023

If I'm No Longer Having Adventures, Whose Fault Is It?




"Behold I am doing a new thing. Now it springs forth, do you not perceive it? ... If you are willing and obedient, you shall eat the good of the land--"   --- Isaiah 43:19, Isaiah 1:19


******


Perhaps you've noticed I've not visited the neighborhood coffee shop in, like, a year and a half. Remember when I'd sit there with my books 2 or 3 times weekly?

I've not stepped into our local library in, eegads! Probably 4 years. I'm not keen on having deadlines in which to return books (er hem) nor am I a fan of driving down there--or anywhere, really. 

Regarding driving, I'm rather all been there, done that, now at age 64.

And you may recall how I often wrote about estate sales, yet oh my. The last one I attended? Can't remember. But then 4 years ago God asked me to begin major decluttering, so hey. Why tempt myself to lug items home when the rest of the week I'm dragging others to the Salvation Army drop-off?

Why make things harder on myself, hmm?

Always we are changing, even if we say we don't like change, even if we're not noticing differences when we do.

But it's ok. There is no growth without change, after all. 

If I'm the same now as I was at 35, oh dear. What a huge amount of stubborness I must have had to hold me back. What great losses of adventures, maturity, friendships, thoughts and delights I'd have skipped. What parts of my present personality I'd be lacking.

And because we follow a moving-forward-God, oh the times I would have had to tell Him, "Uh, no. I don't want to do what you're asking. I just desire to be comfortably me, behind the red door at home, not reaching out to others-- 

--not growing in compassion, not becoming stronger through stepping-out-of-the-boat obedience."

Heaven forbid.

What I'm noticing? When I most desire God's ways, He gives me new ideas to make up for those He asked me to leave behind or ones I can no longer physically handle. Tasks I can do at my present age. Lovely things, anticipatory ones.

Will I ever return to the cafe? Sure. But that 'ministry season' of sitting there, praying this new business would thrive, well, that's over. Amy's shop is doing exceedingly well. Now when I go, I'll just lean back with my decaf, scone, books--

--and I'll smile with gratitude that I accepted that earlier mission, that God gave me that adventure, that He placed the cafe there after I prayed for it to appear.

Too many Christians fear the will of God, but what if we anticipated it, instead? Maybe then at the end of this life we'd fly away with a head and heart full of the sweetest, custom-made adventures, ever. 

Satisfied with the life we'd lived.





The one thing God has not told me is, "Okay, Debra. You can now retire from loving and helping other people. You've earned it."  シ



******





Oh, I have some beautiful videos for you today:








And this video meant much to me. Tons of confirmation of what I'd been feeling this past month!  God Told Me It's Time To Start The Project!


******


Often I aim to make my home (the downstairs, that is) more autumnal-through-the-year-ish. Noticing I don't have many autumnal-gold items, I ordered these dishtowels from Ebay:



Ooo, they're nice and just the right pop of gold-orange for my always-Autumn kitchen. Since they're not linty at all, I can wash them with our regular clothes (gotta appreciate that, as well).

Just thought I'd mention those in case anyone else likes them and their vintage-looking-ness.


*******










Please remember: My posts are always about more than they appear to be. 
 *** 

 "For if you forgive others their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you, but if you do not forgive others their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses." ... Matthew 6:14,15

4 comments:

Sandi said...

Hang on, Brenda. 😂

I love the last photo and the saying of trusting God with the future. Amen.

" He placed the cafe there after I prayed for it to appear."

He does that. He answers prayer. Wow.

"Too many Christians fear the will of God, but what if we anticipated it, instead? Maybe then at the end of this life we'd come away with a head and heart full of the sweetest, custom-made adventures, ever. "

This SO speaks to me today. Thank you. God bless you, Debra!


Friends Peterborough said...

It was SO good to get your response to my comment, Debra!

Your posts always brighten my day! Keep writing, my friend!

David

Pam said...

This post made me think about how God uses people. I think that as we learn to trust Him and follow his guidance, we realize that much of what happens in our life is not so much about us, but for the benefit of others. One thing for sure, we will never understand God, but we don't have to. Simply trust Him.

Debra, those are wonderful links! Thank you very much!

Betsy said...

First of all, thank you for the beautiful links. I appreciate the time you take to gather them for us.
I am feeling that I don't want to be away from home much these days. I do think a lot of things happening in the world are affecting this, but honestly, I was feeling that way before. But...the Lord had different ideas and has me doing things outside the house Tues, Wed, & Thursday. Of course church is on Sunday so I'm not home as much as I would like. Is it working? So far it is. We're trying to feel His leading on decisions we make every day, in the simplest of things.
Blessings and hugs,
Betsy