Tuesday, November 29, 2022

The Good News. The Bad News. The Good News.


" ... stand up and lift up your heads, because your redemption is drawing near."   --- Luke 21:28


******


So the Good News: Since moving to Hobbit Cottage 11 years ago, I've been sick only twice-- 

A town-wide bronchial thing, the other time, a cold. (I don't count the occasional sinus or stomach issues since they arrive only after foolishly pretending I'm 30 again and can eat anything.)


Yet the Bad News: Since the day before Thanksgiving, I've had what feels like 'old lady vertigo'. (Don't be offended: I'm the old lady in this story.) Lean my head down and woooo. Dizzy City. But only for seconds.

Nothing hurts, nor does my brain feel like it gained 10 lbs. Mostly I feel fine, well, until yesterday. Then I felt sinus-y and tired. But by late afternoon I felt fine again. And less prone to dizziness.

How odd to feel relieved that it's probably a slight inner ear infection. **Or not! (See below.)

Of course, as when anything's un-right, I've done my usual online research then taken the natural vitamins which seem fitting. And added a higher, fluffier pillow. Sat on my bed's edge awhile before rising. Etc. 

All of it helps. (What did we do before the Internet, well, besides galloping to doctors?)

Anyway, one website said older folks with vertigo often feel helpless, down, depressed and as though their good days ended. Immediately I thought, "Well hey! I'm not going there."

Helpless? With the Holy Spirit living inside me? Uh, no. I refuse to be one of those Christians who constantly complains, then misses all the miracles, like the one where two much-anticipated books (from different sellers) arrived in yesterday's mail. Plus, a stack of puzzle books. Oh, the sweet timeliness of a full mailbox!

Anyway yes, if this persists much longer I'll see a doctor. But in the meantime I'll keep looking up, searching for answers and moving forward in hope and belief and joy--

--because 'in Him I live and move and have my being'. And Life with Jesus, even in 2022, is still so very good.




**Hooray! Most likely the problem is this, instead (a blockage in my ear canal). Thanks so much, Pam, for sharing the video in the comments! I'm trying what the doctor recommended and am finding it works. Whew. It even involves looking up, literally. Loved that.


And as I shared at Facebook--

Just read this sentence in a book. Loved it.
"Often what he hoped for didn't happen, but something deep inside never stopped him from hoping."
--- from Home From The Hill by Margaret J. Baker





******




Hooray! Another Ariel video. She made lovely changes to her bedroom this time.

Bunny Williams' NYC apartment. Really, her sense of style inspires me!

Mindy Mom does it again with easy holiday meals.

And here's one more cardboard snowflake idea.


******


These are supposed to help with vertigo:

Vitamin C
Vitamin D3
B Vitamins like 12 and 6
Grapeseed Extract
Ginger Root
Magnesium

*****
And what I've added because I believe in them:
Acidolphulus
DMannose
Zinc
Avoiding milk products

*****
Adding foods like tuna, salmon, chicken, peanut butter, avacados, beans, bananas, walnuts, etc.
Skipping high fat or sugar foods, caffeine, alcohol, nuts, etc.
Drinking extra water
Making my pillows as high as I can still sleep on them.
Using a hot wash cloth so to help drain my sinuses.
Oh, and every winter I keep water steaming on the stove so to avoid dry air sinusitis. Makes a huge difference in how both Tom and I feel.

*****


******





What I'm Reading:


The Mystery of the Locked Room by Carolyn Keene

Christmas at Fairacre by Miss Read

Ballet Shoes by Noel Streatfeild

Home From The Hill by Margaret J. Baker



And once more from Facebook--

Currently there's an attack against marriage going on in this world, but Tom and I? We have loved our 44 years together as man and wife. (We talked about it last night so I know he agrees.) 🙂
Happy anniversary to the best guy out there, ever!







Please remember: My posts are always about more than they appear to be. 

 *** 

 "For if you forgive others their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you, but if you do not forgive others their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses." ... Matthew 6:14,15

7 comments:

Betsy said...

I'm sorry you aren't feeling well but very, very happy that you've found some natural remedies that are helping you. Getting older isn't for sissies, that's for sure, but with God's help we survive and get through it all.
I'm so happy for you and Tom and celebrating your anniversary. It's wonderful when we find the right husband and live our marriages in God's plan.
Blessings,
Betsy

Pam said...

Debra, I've struggled with vertigo a few times and came across a youtube video that really helped me. Check out "Carol Foster, MD, vertigo treatment." It took me several tries, but I was better in a short while. I also appreciate how she explained vertigo. Praying for you, friend! xo

Debra said...

Betsy--thank-you and yes! Getting older certainly is not for sissies. :) And so true about finding the right husband, as well.

Oh Pam! Thank-you, my friend. I don't know why I didn't check Youtube. Good gracious! I'm there every single day. Well, because of your comment I did add 'check youtube when you have problems' to my terms and words to remember list. :) And last night I began doing the exercise, but it was right before bedtime so today I'll do them, spacing them 15 minutes apart as the doctor suggested. Most likely this is exactly what I needed--thanks so very much!

Thank-you ladies! Blessings, Debra

loves2spin said...

I just want to mention that early this year I had COVID and there were a couple of days when my husband had to hold onto me when I walked around because I was that dizzy.

Debra said...

Loves to Spin--thanks for letting me know! As I've looked at covid symptoms online I've not seen dizziness mentioned, but a couple people did tell me they had it simultaneously with covid. I don't have any other symptoms other than my usual sinus ones that come with dry winter heat and having to keep water steaming on the stove every year, so I don't think it's covid. But these days, who knows? We do have a ton of those tests here that doctors keep sending home with Tom and probably I should take one and maybe I will. Thanks again for 'furthering my research' into this! :) I am feeling better as I do those youtube exercises and take vitamins, etc. so I'm grateful things are definitely not worsening.

Pam said...

Debra, I hope you feel better and better! I meant to wish you and Tom a Happy 44th Anniversary! Hope you're well enough to celebrate.

Debi @ Tuesdays Child said...

Awe, Happy Belated Anniversary, Debra! 🌹🌹🌹 It makes me sick with of all the things that are Godly and precious that people want to attack, mock, destroy or get rid of.

I hope by now that you're feeling a lot better than you were around the time you wrote this post. As for the foods that were listed to help Vertigo, if "I" were to have to depend on those foods helping, I'd be one dizzy person because I don't eat any meat, fish or seafood plus I don't like avocados (funny enough, that is the ONLY vegetable I don't like), plus I don't like bananas and hate peanut butter so that leaves would leave me with only beans and nuts eat eat. 😂🤣😂

The books you have listed sound like they'd be pretty good. I've read on my Kindle for the past, I'm not even sure how long it's been but at least 7-8 years and my friend gave me some paperback books yesterday and yikes, I can see what an adjustment I'm going to have to make. For some reason now with the regular paperbacks, the words seem too crowded together (it never used to bother me!)

Take good care, friend!

Debi