Tuesday, August 10, 2021

Where She's Rewriting The End Of Her Story


"Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, “This is the way; walk in it.” ...  there's a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted--"  ---Isaiah 30:21, Ecclesiastes 3:2

******


Man, oh man. Is it Autumn yet? Hey, a good old-fashioned snow storm would thrill me right now.

Seriously.

Changes. Now that I'm over 60 and even more sensitive to heat and humidity(!), I'm giving myself over to that 'work smarter, not harder' thing.

Like, you remember I hired the lawn-mowing guys, right? A major change, that one after 40 years. (Would it be too weird to write 'God bless you!' on the bill? Oh, the gratitude I feel for them.) ツ

And perhaps you recall this white patio table we'd used for, oh, 15 years--


I carried it to our curb today. It needed major help: cleaning, sanding and the veneer had pulled up. So no, just no, not during this I-can-barely-breathe-out-there summer.

Remember my post about cleaning up after the party? Yeah, it's like that. That table was a joy for many years, but these last two, its usefulness was replaced with nagging--"Fix me!" 

(That blog post changed me. Thank-you, God, for that insight, that grace, to release even things I still enjoy. The freedom feels fine.)

More? I'd procrastinated transplanting 3 cucumber plants growing in one pot, so, well, I ripped them up, threw them away, and tossed the dirt in the garden.

Not in all these decades had I ever done that. I felt like a murderer.

In early Spring I divided crowded strawberry plants into single pots, but I realized I can't keep up with that extra watering. So they went the way of the cukes. Even the cheap plastic pots I'd clung to for decades.

(I asked Neighbor Sally if she needed more strawberry plants. She didn't.)

I can buy cucumbers from Aldi and make Aunt April's pickles. This I can do. And my cramped garden beds with strawberries which could probably survive a nuclear bomb? They can stay. 

And I can (and do) buy frozen strawberries, also.

I've released 223 books and bags of knickknacks. Some of this felt painful, yet what pains me more? Dusting, washing and rearranging clutter without grace.

I discovered an easier way to water my Herb And Etc. Garden out front. I stopped adding to my compost heap.

Placed a hand towel for Daniel The Cat on the couch so I could easily shake it out rather than use rubbing alcohol on a paper towel every time.

Our carpet-cleaner guy is going to power wash our house (he's branched out). For years I'd meant to paint over (again) certain spots, but again, uh, no. Not now.

And the list goes on.

Are there bits of sadness? Yes, honestly. Yet perhaps the most vital lesson I've learned in 25 years is to recognize Grace. When she's there to help or when she's moved on, letting me know it's time I move on, also--

--to new grace, new miraculous provision, new adventures and new gratitude for a whole other way of living in my same ol' skin.





"   ... but I focus on this one thing: Forgetting the past and looking forward to what lies ahead..."   --- Philippians 3:13


For me, if I am stressed-out, it's my own fault. I either said yes when I should've said no--or--I'm not receiving Grace for what I must do, but rather, am doing things in my own so-called strength.



******




Okay, is this near perfection or what?



******


And this book! Oh my. --


I enjoy Helen Girvan's books, own a few, but this one was always priced at anywhere from $40 to $140. And well, no way. 

But hooray! A little voice told me, "Never give up. You've discovered books greatly reduced before." And well, two years later I found a copy for just $4! 

Now, I've pretty much stopped buying books, (what with the Great Book Purge of 2021 and all), but I knew this one was a gift from God. Last week I read it and it's a keeper.


******

That town in my header? Chester, CA. (I have that postcard, framed, in our hutch for the memories.) It's still standing and I'm still praying (and watching far too much news regarding that fire, just like I've told you not to do in such cases. sigh).

I'm surprised how many folks we know who still live there! Even a couple, old friends of the family, were on the missing list for awhile, but they were found, safe.

I'm praying that the mightiest of warrior soldier angels are circling Chester, in double rows. I'd love it if you join me, for other towns like Janesville and Susanville, as well. Thanks so much!

******

I choose freedom:





******


Please remember: My posts are always about more than they appear to be. *** "For if you forgive others their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you, but if you do not forgive others their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses." ... Matthew 6:14,15

3 comments:

Sandi said...

I enjoyed reading this! Thanks.

Terra said...

I paused and added my prayers to yours for protection for the California towns, and also for rain to put out the fires. Our God is a mighty God. Like you I feel happy when I declutter and have been giving way books like mad. I made a promise to buy no physical books in August!

Pam said...

It's so interesting how the Lord changes us. As we age, we can learn so much from Him. I'm on a similar journey, Debra. It truly has been fun, though, to donate so many things--even some new things. We're all making choices for today and tomorrow. Often, I ask myself why I've needed to hold onto some things, and God often reveals the answer. On the other hand, my husband is going through the same process and his response is a great big smile and, "Hey, we're gonna be ready when the time comes for assisted living!" He means no disrespect. He's a realist. He reminds me that there was a time for bigger homes and more stuff, and now it's time to let it go. Thank you for sharing what you're thinking and doing, Debra! It helps me to know that others are on the same pathway!