Sunday, July 26, 2020

One Thing I Love About This Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Virus Time

See the source image


"But if you do not forgive others their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses."   ---Matthew 6:15


******


A return to the lighter side today! (Whew, right?) ツ

Way back when I used to visit the supermarket, three times I faced emotional trauma there. 

What the heck?

Well, I stood in line at the check-out and twice a (different) man stood only 6 inches behind me and once a woman did that. I could feel their breath upon my neck, smell their scent, hear them breathe and their hand-held groceries bumped my back.

Unfortunately in each instance, a shopping cart (and line) was behind them so if I'd turned and asked, "Could you please step back?," the entire line would've had to shift backwards and well, being a typical first-born, we so hate to bother people. 

So I spoke nothing. Just stood there sharing my personal space with a creepy stranger.

And good gracious! Each time after paying for my groceries and pushing my cart to the door, I felt my body trembling. Probably I resembled someone plugged into a dripping electrical socket and my mind spun in mad circles because of clueless mortals and myself, even. You know, that I'd not had the courage to speak-up.

Yet I've grown more courageous since then and Honey, you go sidling up to me now and I'll definitely call you on it. I don't care if 50 people must move backward. (Look at Debra all feisty in her old age.)

But hey! Turns out I won't need to speak anything, what with social distancing, right? Woo hoo! No stranger will ever again breathe down my neck in line, not with all those 6 foot markers on everybody's shop floors. Someday, yes, that'll change, but I'm thinking we'll always be standing at least 3 feet apart.

Oooooo, three feet. I can handle that, yes sirree, Bob! So thank-you covid-19 for that one good thing in the midst of all your otherwise ridiculous insanity.  ツ



See the source image

"Rejoice in the Lord always and again I say rejoice!"   ---Philippians 4:4


"When I tell strangers I am not a hugger, some take this as a challenge, like they can hug me into submission, like they can will my aversion to hugs away by the strength of their arms. Oftentimes, they will draw me into their body, saying something condescending like, "See, it isn't that bad." I think, I never thought it was, and I stand there, my arms limply by my sides, probably grimacing, but still, they don't get the message that I am not a willing participant in this embrace. The fortress hath been breached.”
― Roxane Gay



Look for the good in any situation: only true searchers will find it.


Oh, and you extreme extroverts might not understand my post (and angst), but this was written for those do get it. heh.


******

This news totally made my entire week!  --




Image Credit: Saturate OC/Facebook/Permission to Use



******








A very special thanks to those who congratulated me on 16 years of blogging!




"For if you forgive others their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you, but if you do not forgive others their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses." ... Matthew 6:14,15

3 comments:

Betsy said...

I don't enjoy people standing in my space either. I don't know why they think they have to stand so close.
We have two more relatives that have Covid-19 that are very sick. Our niece and her little preschool daughter. Her husband and even younger son are okay so far. That makes my brother who died from it and now Katie and Skylar. I really detest this virus and can't wait for it to be gone.
Blessings,
Betsy

Pam said...

We definitely need to look for the good in life, especially now! I, too, enjoy the fact people are spaced out more than ever before. Both of my kids are introverts, and they keep saying how much they've enjoyed spending extra time at home. How great to hear that there is a revival in California! Wouldn't it be wonderful if it spread faster than the virus? It's exactly what this world needs.

Debra said...

Betsy--I'm praying for your loved ones with his virus! My sis in law has it but isn't super sick. May all be well with your family and you, also, as you prepare to move.

Pam--it really is true what Ma Ingalls used to say: there is no great loss without some gain. Some good things have come out of these past four months for my family and I know we're not the only ones who can say that. Yes! How wonderful about the revival in CA--I even saw more video yesterday with great crowds there singing praises together--hallelujah!

Thanks so much, Ladies! Blessings, Debra