Thursday, November 01, 2018

Want To Feel Better? Take Some Risks.


"They are to do good, to be rich in good works, to be generous and ready to share, thus storing up treasure for themselves as a good foundation for the future, so that they may take hold of that which is truly life."  ... 1 Timothy 6:19


******


So outside my windows on school mornings, four impeccably-dressed little girls wait with one or two moms for the school bus.

Gee, they're cute. I'd love to, some morning, run out there in my cerulean-blue robe and give each a hug, but hey. There's being loving toward others--then there's being the creepy inappropriate lady in the yellow house. 😉






Well, yesterday afternoon one of the moms stood in the rain waiting for the girls after school. She wore a brown water-resistant jacket with a hood and calmly talked on her cell phone, but still, I wished there was something I could do. You know, due to the rain.

Then God popped this idea into my head: "How about if you offer her your covered porch to stand upon in bad weather?"

Now, how do I know that was God's idea? Because ol' Debra's ideas are safe. Risk-free. Chicken-like, for she was born too shy to be bold. 

Er hem. 

So yes, I was tempted to make the moldy, ridiculous excuses of why I couldn't do that, but after you've spent 24 years allowing God to dismantle the catastrophe you built? Well, you know you'll sound like a fraidy cat. A selfish one, too.

So you just sigh. You ask for His help. Then you obey.

So I ran a comb through my hair, grabbed my flyaway sweater and favorite Monet umbrella, slipped on my beat-up garden shoes then walked out front to the woman. By now the bus was approaching so quickly I told her, "Hi! I live in this yellow house and you're more than welcome to stand on our front porch and wait whenever it rains or snows."

She smiled, slowly, kept her phone to her ear, then in such a lovely low voice said, "Thank-you." The girls were hopping off the loud bus so I smiled then said, "Sure! Anytime." and, under my umbrella, walked along the hedge to our back door.

And felt happy. 

Happy that no longer do I live in that cage labeled "Too Shy To Help Others And Therefore Of Little Use In God's Big Plan For Our World."

One of my favorite verses?


"For the eyes of the Lord run to and fro throughout the whole earth, to show Himself strong in the behalf of them whose hearts are fully committed to Him."   ... 2 Chronicles 16:9


--and now, daily may my own eyes run to and fro, searching for those in need.

God chooses people for me to help and He supplies whatever it takes for me to help them. Whatever it takes.

So any excuses I offer? Not gonna fly with God. Nothing sounding like "I can't do that!," or "I shouldn't have to," or "Again?," or "What if they say 'no' or 'don't be silly' when I ask?," or "What if I stutter?" or "Can't you just get someone else?" 

Uh, no. I'm learning none are a viable option these days. God's put far too much work into me and now's the time for Keep It Simple obedience. Doing what God asks simply because He asked. 

Some things about God are complicated, yes. Surely. But loving others through giving? No. He keeps that simple. It's we who complicate it--and then miss out on the incredible life over on the other side.









"So if the Son sets you free, you will be free, indeed."   ... John 8:36


"... but the righteous are bold as a lion."   ... Proverbs 28:1


We can hold back and not do half of what God asks--but why cheat ourselves and others like that?




Friday update: Yesterday it rained again and the young mom stood on our porch, waiting for the bus! Really, this was confirmation and made me happy.

******






"I love being confronted by the truth. I love a word that helps me improve and prods me to a higher level. "  ... Joyce Meyer

(You and me, both, Joyce. You and me, both.)  ã‚·



******

So this past year I've had good times putting together a new wardrobe, one reflecting this current Century, actually. heh. 

If you'd like, you can check out my Pinterest page where I've collected (not many, won't take long) ideas for using leggings, though in your mind, picture me 'older lady-ing these type outfits up' a bit. I mean, my own versions do not scream, this-59-year-old-is-trying-to-look-25. Nope. To me, what I wear looks like, well, an appropriate 'me' at this stage of the game.


I do get compliments and smiles--and not the kind which make me ask "And just what's so funny?", either. ha.


Leggings: they make this no-spring-chicken gal feel young again.  They just do. Deal with it. ッ








******


"Walk ... with all humility and gentleness, with patience, bearing with one another in love." ... Ephesians 4:2

6 comments:

lorie said...

It's sad because many people seem surprised when I show them kindness. For example, I try to let at least one person ahead of me in line at the store, I hold doors, I compliment people, etc. Super simple things that anyone can do. I hope this doesn't sound like bragging. Every little kindness makes the world a tiny bit better. You letting the woman to wait on your porch in bad weather is simple but may make a big difference in her comfort.
Dolores

Betsy said...

I love the things Dolores mentioned in her comment. There are so many simple things that each of us can do in our every day lives to show kindness toward others. Bravo to you Debra for being brave enough to offer that lady your porch. There so many more things I would like to do, but physical ailments limit me right now. Through prayer and doctors I’m hoping some of those may eventually be taken care of. I would really like to volunteer at the hospital with the babies. Unfortunately, untll my back is better that’s out of the question. Still, there are things I can do every day from home. Thanks for the reminder.
Blessings, Betsy

Pam said...

Oh Debra, it really warmed my heart to read of your offer to the woman and her children at the bus stop. Last night I heard that five children's lives had been lost while waiting for school buses. Dear God help us!! I'm sure the young mom and her kids will be blessed by your kindness. Reading this just made my day!! XOXO

Rebecca said...

Great post! And the Joyce Meyer quote, too.

Karla said...

Oh I am so glad you were brave and obeyed! Sometimes that is THE hardest part - just working up the nerve.

This post blessed me tremendously today. Thank you.

Debra said...

Dolores--so very true! Every little kindness does make this world better. Thanks for sharing the ways you are helping!

Betsy--oh my! I'm continuing to pray that your back is improving.I've seen how you're able to help many people through your time at home--you are such an encourager--thank-you!

Pam thanks so much and oh yes! Those stories of the children at bus stops have just broken my heart. I'm trying to remember to pray for their families every day. People need to slow down in so many ways--this world keeps trying to rush us. sigh.

Rebecca--surely you must be a kindred spirit to have mentioned the Joyce Meyer quote! You're the only one who did. :) I totally agree with it and try to live that way each day.

Karla--I'm so glad this post blessed you. Thank-you for reading here so often!

Thanks, Everyone! Blessings, Debra