Thursday, September 13, 2018

Where Are You Living?


"I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances." ... Philippians 4:11


******


My favorite participant sport? Wandering through old houses via estate sales. 

No, really. I'm a pro at that one.  😉

But oh, some of the kitchens these women put up with for 40+ years! Wow, they shock both Tom and me. Kitchens like this one (from a current local listing), for example--




See that bit of orange countertop? That's all of it. There is no more, unless you want to count the table and that whatever-it-is beside the stove--




Ever stood over a low table chopping and mixing? Makes my back hurt just considering it.

Me? Whole decades ago I'd have added skinny cupboards beneath the two windows and banked the stove, above and below, with cupboards, drawers and more counter space.

Eegads. Obviously this 1954 house is a one-family-owned one and oh, the poor woman who cooked thousands of meals there. Maybe with her coffee, she sat at the table facing her backyard windows, dreaming of a kitchen which made sense or heck, a whole other house, one with a real dining room, a finished 2nd story and a den in the basement, all of which she never had (she could've, the last two, anyway).

Or maybe, like Apostle Paul, she learned to be content.

Perhaps she read 'How To Make Your Small House Feel Larger' type books and became super-efficient so that she didn't even need extra space. Maybe, personally, she preferred smaller rooms.

Or perhaps she had just the right amount of stuff to clean and owning more made her nervous. She might have worked an outside job or appreciated the extra non-cleaning time for her hobbies and craft-making. 

Perhaps The Mr. (he with the terrific garage) never understood the need (or had the money) for a sensible kitchen or a finished 2nd story, so The Mrs. decided to do what she could. You know, like wallpapering the dining area and guest room, adding scented drawer liners, sewing curtains. She may have spent tax refunds on new bedspreads, bathroom towels or an occasional framed painting, sofa or carpet in hopes of making this small house, her only one, its very best.

Maybe when the dining area chandelier was replaced, she felt such gratitude, that her too-tiny kitchen no longer mattered. She finally had her pretty light. 

Or hey, perhaps her lovely future home in Heaven kept her dreamy-eyed within this limited one upon Earth.

One thing I've seen around my area? Women married in the 50's through 70's tended to find within themselves a gratitude for whatever home they'd been given, no matter how lacking. Oh, not all women, of course! It just seems like 'a thing' more prevalent than Today.

And oh, it's not all bad how Nowadays Ladies tend to want more. Hey, I find myself there, often(!) But where I'd rather be? 

In the delicate balance, the reaching for more with hands already grateful.

You know, wanting more, but with a contented heart which says."I'd like something else, but if I don't get it? That's ok. Knowing God is what keeps me satisfied, even if outward circumstances never change."

Yep, sometimes I'm there, but I'm aiming to live there 24/7.




If you think about it, this kitchen is another cramped one, but the ladies 'round the table look perfectly happy anyway. Imagine that.




"... abound in thanksgiving."   ... Colossians 2:7

"Give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you."   ... 1 Thessalonians 5:18


******

More from The Mrs.' house--









In a safe neighborhood, one near ours, with 2 bedrooms, 1 bath, 800 sq. ft., not including the unfinished 2nd story or basement and a needs-help kitchen with no dishwasher(!)----- $69,900.



******

A friend shared this photo at Facebook. Cool, right?





And another friend shared this--






---which I've found to be so true.



******


"Walk ... with all humility and gentleness, with patience, bearing with one another in love." ... Ephesians 4:2


4 comments:

Betsy said...

I just commented over at Facebook. Thanks for the thought provoking post this morning Debra.
Blessings, Betsy

Pam said...

Debra, I always enjoy a trip down memory lane...love looking at the older homes in your area. This home reminded me of a home owned by my aunt and uncle. Theirs would have been a few years older, but it was very small, too. They lived in it their entire married life, over 60 years. When their two kids came along, they built a modest addition, but only ever had one bathroom. They were blessed, financially, and could have afforded more, but were content with their little nest. Just as you said in your post, they were grateful, even though it seemed a bit lacking in some creature comforts.

A few years ago, when we attended my aunt's funeral, there were many people attending whom were unfamiliar to us. However, they were quick to share how my aunt and uncle had helped to provide funds for them to attend college. Wow. It all made sense. Don't you love when you find the last puzzle piece!?

Thanks for always making me think, Debra!

Annie Bremer said...

Wow loved this.

Anonymous said...

Perhaps they had a little extra table or something to help by the window and removed it for showing the house? :) Who knows. Probably not. I sure do know that I loved visiting and staying with my many relatives and they had little homes with the same furniture and even linens etc for ever! I never heard a complaint about wanting this or that. Or how little room they had and others had much more etc. What lessons they taught without actually trying to teach. My sisters and I realize how often we are drawn to things and looks like they had in their homes. Those houses felt like real Homes. The atmosphere was warm an loving. People were the focal point not the newest gossip about others or what they had just bought or wanting to buy etc. Their faith and love of this country you could tell by how they went about their lives. Will our grandchildren and friends say such about their visits with us?

About the humming bird picture... How did all those birds get together at one time to feed? Mine come one at a time and chase all others away while they are there. I have 4 bird feeders that are always busy. Aren't birds wonderful to watch... :) Sarah