Monday, July 24, 2017

Uh-Oh. Summer Strikes Again.


" ... for He knows how we are formed, He remembers that we are dust."  ... Psalm 103:14


******



Is it Autumn yet?

Oh, the humidity! Lately, poor ol' Debra's had the mid-Summer blues, you know, where she feels 90, ill and beat-up and the verse, "Vanity! All is vanity," swirls 'round her head and things she enjoys the rest of the year suddenly feel, well, bleh.

And I crawl up the stairs, hands and feet, a lot.

And if complaining really does shrink our brains, mine is now probably strawberry-size. (I won't tell you about the night I sat up in bed and said, "I hate Summer!" And yes, we have air-conditioning, but even that messes with my head.)

Gee, am I ever glad God understands 'I am but dust.' 

As long as I do my best, He's ok with that, even if my best didn't include washing a few clothes or dishes. I remind myself that I'm my biggest critic, not God or Tom--so knock-off the mental pushing. Be kind to yourself, I say; accept your Summer limitations, the age ones, also, and follow Grace who knows best when and how to do anything. And brings a certain ease with her.


Over and again I remind myself to 'take gratitude pills' to get me through this and to recall one lovely thing -- Autumn is coming! (And lately, even a snowy Winter sounds pretty terrific. And no, I'm not crazy--frigid temperatures invigorate me whereas humidity turns me absolutely zombie-ish. Really, nothing else undoes me like Summer.)






"This, too, shall pass!"   ... copied




******





Tom repaired our washing machine! Hooray. He's my hero. And now I'm so grateful I can do laundry again (a perfect example that attitude is everything, right?).

A special thanks to my buddy, Susan, for mentioning the spin-cycle switch! Tom then found YouTube videos and instructions online. Isn't the Internet really something?



******







Anyone else watching the new Battle of the Network Stars? Brings back memories from the 70's and 80's episodes and we especially enjoy it when stars our age appear on the teams. Makes us feel that we're not the only folks who aren't quite what they used to be.  😉




******



Oh! Look what I ordered from Etsy (except that mine will be red)--




Exactly what I'd searched for. I wanted to scare away adults, but not children.  😉 


******


Be sure to come back tomorrow for a free gift card giveaway!


******

6 comments:

Betsy said...

And here I am dreading the end of summer. I love summer time. It's hot during the day, but with our low humidity it is still bearable. The nights are always in the 40-50F range, so very nice sleeping. I detest snow, especially after my fall last year. Glad the washer is okay now. It's amazing how we miss the appliances when they stop working. I hope your day is a wonder one for you.
Blessings,
Betsy

Pam said...

I absolutely love low humidity, 70 degree days! Last week, our temps and humidity were near 100! Lately, I look out the windows and ask myself, "Why did I plant so much stuff that needs care?!!" Just a few years ago, I had no trouble keeping up, but times have changed. Take heart...fall cometh!

Deborah Raney said...

Makes me feel better just to know that someone else despises summer as much as I do. I shouldn't complain because I only have to get out in it for half an hour to water each evening. But like you said, it just saps one's energy, whereas cold weather, even though I don't love it, makes me feel energized.

I must say that as I get older and time truly FLIES every week, I'm more patient with the weather. And I can psych myself up to withstand just 59 more days (there was a time that seemed an eternity! No more!)

And in Kansas, after today's triple digits, we are promised 4 days in a row of 90-degree highs and 66-degree lows! THAT, I can live with!

Debra said...

Oh Betsy! What you're describing doesn't even sound like summer. More like Heaven. ...smile... Sometimes (like today and yesterday) we have heavenly summer days and those are so nice. But rare. Alas.

Pam--oh! I had a day just like that last week. One where I looked around and asked why did I plant more stuff than usual this year? I think we do that because Springtime can be so lovely and invigorating and it becomes easy to go crazy with seedlings. Maybe? :)

Deb--hooray! Someone else gets it and used stronger language, even, than I did. :) Your comment made me absolutely smile and feel not so crazy. Thank-you, my friend! And yes! Fifty-nine days days didn't sound all that long to me either. Time really does fly the older we become, right?

Thanks so much, Ladies! Blessings, Debra

Mrs.N said...

Summer is terrible- but be thankful you don't live in Kyudhu Japan. I've lived on a remote and tiny island in the Mariana's most of my life- it was tropical. I thought THAT was hot. There is nothing like a Japan summer- hottest I've ever felt. Plus- there is no such thing as central AC in private homes here- well, unless you are really rich. We live in a 70 year old Japanese home- no insulation- temp pan roof that makes the house like an Oven! My kitchen is so hot when I cook on our old gas stove that I gave to wear a towel around my head - or I can't see because I'm sweating so much.

Bring on winter!

Debra said...

Oh, Mrs. N.! You've made me feel so grateful I live where I do. Thank-you and oh dear--I know for certain I couldn't handle that kind of heat. I'll pray that you'll be able to stay cool in miraculous ways! (I do believe in miracles.) Thank-you for reading here and sharing! Blessings, Debra