Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Of Not Wanting to Insult God re: His Idea of Weather


"God changes times and seasons..."  "He has done everything well," they said."    ... Daniel 2:21, Mark 7:37

*****

It's a balmy -2 degrees and can you see the mist over our river? Each morning I open the curtains and then, from the red couch, gaze outside to see what my world is doing, feeling thankful for this simpler life God gave us than the farm one we fled.

Oh, farm life was gloriously-pleasant for awhile and I would feel a truckload of regret if we'd missed those 3 countryside years. But we've lived longer now at Hobbit Cottage and life in the 'burbs fits us better, especially now that 60 isn't so far away (oh my, 60!) and we've both slowed down. Much.

Looking back at all my years, I have few regrets, though I don't give lots of credence to that since, uh-oh! Judgement Day, will reveal more. Here upon this Earth we do 'see through a glass dimly', you know, and if you toss-in the ol' 'our hearts are deceitful and the pride of life' stuff, well, none of us see it all 100%. Not yet, not on this planet, ever.

But today I'm thankful that I want to see. I want to do better and, more importantly, love God better and view things His way.

Even in a tiny thing like not complaining about Winter. I mean, God, Himself, created the seasons so why hurt His feeling by griping about the way He invented snow and cold? He has marvelous reasons for both and I'm the foolish one if I refuse to accept His wise design and any challenges it brings to me, personally. 

In anything, my lack of acceptance to His will is pure folly. And--most likely--shows a glaring lack of imagination on my part.

These are the things He's teaching me year by year and ever so slowly (it seems). Things I only learn when I get quiet and listen and remain pliable enough to change from season to season.




"Do all things without grumbling or questioning ..."   ... Philippians 2:14



*****


"While the earth remains, seedtime and harvest, cold and heat, summer and winter, day and night, shall not cease.”   ... Genesis 8:22


 "Conversation about the weather is the last refuge of the unimaginative."   ... Oscar Wilde

(You may disagree about that one and that's ok. But often I'm reminded of that quote, especially when I catch myself resorting to weather talk to make a conversation 'safe.')

It is no use to grumble and complain;
It's just as cheap and easy to rejoice;
When God sorts out the weather and sends rain -
Why, rain's my choice.
~James Whitcomb Riley






*****


Free Kindle books:


Resolutions

How to Knit

Super Mom's Guide to Speed Cleaning


 

3 comments:

mabeane said...

I love all the seasons. When the temps are below zero with high wind chill I remember that Spring always comes. I am glad you are changing day by day and year by year. I hope that is the same for me. The 60s are fun years, enjoy them all you can. After 70 you have to slow down, ask me how I know? God is in every season of life and I am so thankful.

terricheney said...

Agree with you 100%...Seasons are important as they are, even if they are not all warm and sunny. My thoughts ran along those lines yesterday when I posted this:
http://bluehousejournal.blogspot.com/2015/01/embracing-winter-trying-to-make-most-of.html

Debra said...

MaBeane--thanks for sharing your good thoughts! And I love how you brought out that God is in all seasons of our lives. So true!

Terri--I so enjoyed your blog post! (The pretty photo, also.) All your choices about accepting and handling winter were great ones. Thanks for sharing those and reminding us that Spring is coming!

Thanks, Ladies! Blessings, Debra