Sunday, May 29, 2005

The Ruts We Dig Ourselves



I wonder how often my life has been dull/monotonous/average or lacking in excitement simply because I made it that way?

Sometimes I put-off a better, more creative life until that elusive Someday.

And yet Today I could have driven a different route to all my destinations and seen houses and people and shops I'd never spied before and eaten in the cozy cafe which I'm always passing while always thinking, "Someday I'd like to eat there."

I might have had my morning quiet time out on the front porch or while taking a walk or even in a neighborhood coffee shop instead of in the same old room.

Or maybe I could've tried a new recipe for dinner or called a friend I'd not chatted with in years.

Switching around my living room furniture was possible, creating a fresh, new setting or trying a new shade of lipstick or a new scent of cologne.

I might have sent flowers sent to a friend 'just because' or shopped in a new-to-me supermarket, taken a walk down a different street or listened to a cooler type of music.

Each morning provides me with the same try-something-new spirit--imagine that!

But always, if I'm to live a rut-less life, it's up to me.


******




"If we did all the things we are capable of doing, we would literally astonish ourselves."
- Thomas Edison

No comments: