Thursday, October 22, 2015

News Junkies = Pod People?


"From the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaks."  Luke 6:45


******


So like I said, Tom and I traveled 6,000 miles (or so) by train. We zipped through a southern route then up the coast of California then across northern states back home to New York. In sleeper cars, mostly.

Isn't it rather pricey to do that? 

Normally, yes. But 2 years ago Tom signed up for an Amtrak credit card which earns points for train travel. Our trip was nearly free, in great part due to his 3 South African business trips on that card, all later reimbursed by his company. 

I'm so thankful that Tom and I realize God is clever with things like that. 

We've found He still provides for His kids. Even in a bad economy, with one wage earner, and yes! Even after you've been laid-off. Doesn't matter. God still responds to faith, trust, wisdom and dare I add this? Tithing. 

The words of this old song say it best:

"Trust me, try me,
Prove me says the Lord of Hosts and see
If a blessing, unmeasured blessing
I will not pour out on thee."

And perhaps this isn't a perfect segue, but I must add this warning for you news junkies:

Please balance your news viewing. I don't care where you're getting your news, be it online or via network tv, or the Christian-based TruNews or the much-adored Fox News where I hear you're (proudly) getting all the news that networks leave out. I mean, really? It's a great thing to soak in hours of the complete bad news happening in our world?

Come on.

My eyes saw scary things before and during our vacation. Dear old friends and relatives going all pod-people-ish like from The Invasion of the Body Snatchers. People who look the same, yet aren't. 

Remember Kevin McCarthy's horrified expression in that film? Yeah, it's been like that as I watch folks who once were full of the joy, hope and peace of God, now go all sarcastic, smirky and dark in their (limited topic) conversations. People making wild, sweeping generalizations. Folks who've sadly forgotten the comfort of God's nearness and this instruction, as well:

"...whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things."  ...Philippians 4:8

Balance! Please remember sanity-saving balance. For every hour of news you watch, spend an hour (or two) in your garden. Or with a grandchild or a friend over coffee. Or take a walk in nature or read a delightful book. Or mow a neighbor's yard, listen to your favorite music or preacher or sit with your spouse. Recall what you love, add rich memories to your days, not just negativity which spreads like disease.

Stay balanced on this straight and narrow beam upon which we as Christians walk so that you can step on up to Heaven as wings of joy hold you steady.

Please.




Love those train uniforms and the way the conductors still shout, "All aboard!"  Yes, they still do that at smoke stops and when trains begin their journeys.

******

"Be sober [well balanced and self-disciplined], be alert and cautious at all times. That enemy of yours, the devil, prowls around like a roaring lion [fiercely hungry], seeking someone to devour."   ... 1 Peter 5:8


******



A special thanks to my buddy, Judy, for sharing the above cartoon at Facebook.



******



   The California coastline was gorgeous on a long, sunny Sunday afternoon.

2 comments:

Judy said...

When my children were young, I had to stop watching the news for my sanity. My mom agreed to tell me if something urgent happened that I needed to respond to right away. I remember when the Oklahoma City bombing happened. She called me, told me about it matter of factly, and then advised me NOT to turn on the TV, which at the time we were only using sparingly. This helped me so much!

Our recent trip to Wisconsin was a real eye-opener for me. In four days time, all the people we met were kind, helpful, and friendly.

Yes, I DO believe that the times we are living in are evil. But, and here is where I burst into a Veggie Tales song: God is bigger than the Boogie Man, He's bigger than Godzilla or the Monsters on TV! Oh God is bigger than the Boogie Man and He's watching out for you and meeeeee!

Pam said...

Yes, there needs to be a big bold warning across the screen when the news comes on. I have to pace myself, or run the risk of falling into a very dark abyss." Love the words to Judy's song!! One thing I know for sure, we have the power to influence our world. As I've gotten older, I've decided to try to remain calm and positive whenever possible. It took me over 60 yrs to get to chill out...