Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Blogging And Not Imploding And Saving Money And --


"Nor do people light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a stand, and it gives light to all in the house."   ... Matthew 5:15


*****

That Debra.

She writes about Valentines one day, then Revelation and the world ending the next, and then coupons (today's post) after that.

Who can figure her out? Only God. 

Only God.

I've gained many lovely friends by way of this blog (you know who you are), but I've lost a few, too, mostly because of the God stuff and needing to spend much time alone in order to contemplate and write. But I must remind myself of (at least) two things:

1.) Our real friends are real. Some appear real, but in time, you discover they were meant to be someone else's real friends. And that needs to be ok, accepted, because what matters is that we be led by God. And then? On our path we'll look beside us and those friends still there, they'll be the ones God gave to keep us company.

And 2.) ... I'm not in this for friends. I'm here because of obedience (this blog was God's idea in 2004. I, actually, hesitated big-time.). But I'm also here because long ago I'd have burst if I'd not had this outlet. You know, like this:

"But if I say, “I will not mention his word
    or speak anymore in his name,”
his word is in my heart like a fire,
    a fire shut up in my bones.
I am weary of holding it in;
    indeed, I cannot."   ... Jeremiah 20:9


Before blogging, I felt like that nearly always for (it seemed) people around me wanted to discuss different subjects than these I've blogged about. I think this blog saved me from imploding. 

So I've gotta be pretty grateful for that.  :)



*****

Anyway. Last year I saved over $3,700 by buying groceries on sale, using coupons, buying gas with earned grocery credit and earning amazon.com gift cards through SavingStar and Swagbucks

While many in our Country pay wild 2014 grocery prices (and lots of parents struggle to feed their families), many other couponers/sales-only purchasers are getting groceries either free or are paying 1980's (or before) prices.

Being a Practical Patty, I'm mentioning coupons and sales this time because of the hundreds of articles out there about current droughts and how they have, and will continue to, affect what we pay for groceries. And it will not get better.  

So today, again, I'm reminding you that it's still possible to pay little for groceries and to stock your pantry so that you're prepared for anything. You know, like snow or ice storms, unemployment (yours or friends'), all emergencies, unexpected guests, community food bank donations and the aforementioned end of the world. heh. 

And just keeping the thousands of dollars you would have spent on groceries is pleasant, too.

Here are a few of my latest examples of combining sales with coupons:



Lloyds Barbeque Chicken:  Free
Wholly Guacamole:    Free
Suave Shampoo:  Free
Progresso Soup:   .25 cents each
Del Monte Tomatoes:   .50 cents each
Reach Dental Floss:  .50 cents
Kraft Recipe Makers:   .45 cents
Kashi Cereal:   $1.10
Bananas:   20 percent off the sale price

Oh, and I forgot the 2 Betty Crocker cake mixes I bought for .12 cents each.

(I feel all reminiscent when I buy groceries for prices I paid as a new bride in 1978. When I get them for free, I feel dance-in-the-aisle excited(!), but never fear... I reign myself in.)

Oh, and those (gluten free) Food Should Taste Good bags of chips in the organic aisle for a ridiculous $3.69? I got a bag last week for .50 cents. I would have bought another one, but I didn't trust myself home alone with two bags. :)

These are typical savings (mostly) for me and if you're interested in learning how to shop this way, email me at GladOne4@yahoo.com for something I sent out last year to help those interested in saving on groceries. (Please mention saving money or coupons, etc. in the subject title. Thanks.)



*********




"My mouth will tell of your righteous deeds, of your saving acts all day long-- though I know not how to relate them all. I will come with the mighty deeds of the Lord God; I will make mention of Your righteousness, Yours alone.  "   ... Psalm 71:15, 16

 


"Then I heard what sounded like a voice among the four living creatures, saying, “Two pounds[a] of wheat for a day’s wages,[b] and six pounds[c] of barley for a day’s wages,[d] and do not damage the oil and the wine!”   ... Revelation 6:6


*****

More free kindle books (though always check to make certain they're still free):



The Meeting Place

 A Daughter of the Land

Waiting for Summer's Return

Conquer Clutter

Daughter of Joy

The Pursuit of God

The Mystery of Mary




8 comments:

Rita said...

Not to complain. Honest!! I love, love, love to read your blog. Please tell me. Where are these wiggly pop ups coming from? They make me nervous and when I x out of one it shows me a game to play or some other such thing. I just want to enjoy your blog like I always have. I switched to Chrome is that why those pop ups are constant on some blogs?

Debra said...

Uh-oh Rita! I've never seen any of what you mentioned either here or at any other blogs. Oh dear. Could it be something with your computer? A pop-up blocker gone wrong? I haven't added anything new to my blog at all, no advertising, etc. Hmm... In my next post I'll ask if others have seen anything odd, ok?

Thanks for being such a faithful reader here all these years! Blessings, Debra

Anonymous said...

Thanks for more links to the kindle books. And nice to hear of your shopping successes. I hope I find more time to work on such this year too...makes it not as helpful when we try to eat mostly gluten free, as well as other food allergies...but you can at least save on food to donate...that is one way I have couponed this year (even with donated food I try to be very picky that it is healthy).
Elizabeth in NC

Debra said...

Elizabeth--there are lots of coupons out there for gluten-free food. Lots! It just takes knowing where to find them online. And those foods can always be stock piled when they're on sale--that's how I save the most: buying things on sale and never paying full price for anything.

The most helpful thing I do is to stay connected with local coupon groups online which match up coupons to sales in our area. They're actually the secret to my success! Blessings, Debra

Anonymous said...

How did you find the local coupon groups?? We are currently in a very small area, but headed out in a couple days to help our daughter in Seattle area, which would surely have some local groups.
Elizabeth in NC

Debra said...

Elizabeth --I Googled "local coupon bloggers, Buffalo, NY". It led me to two great ones which I consult all the time. Naming your nearest large city is usually the best way to start. Once you find a good group, you're likely to find others mentioned there.

You can also Google your favorite store and "coupon blog", and that could lead you to others. There are many coupon bloggers out there--the only hard part is finding ones which are still active. :)

Blessings, Debra

Debra said...

P.S. You can also Google "coupon match-ups" with the name of your favorite store, too. :) ... Debra

Anonymous said...

You probably know about moneysavingmom.com and that is where I have gotten a lot of helps and ideas too...but thanks for your input. I will write it in my little book I carry to work on later once we get settled in again, for a bit...
Elizabeth in NC for a few more days