Sunday, February 16, 2014

As I'm Seeing It. (Read At Your Own Risk.) :)


"But understand this, that in the last days there will come times of difficulty"   ... 2 Timothy 3:1


*****

Long ago I went to college and one of the still vivid things is the first time I watched The Love Boat in our dorm floor's tv room. Wow. All those unmarried couples sharing cabins on the boat! Innocent-as-a-flower me, gasped, sunk into my comfy chair and felt my cheeks turn red with surprise that so many people would do this and that a tv show would promote it.

Yes, at 18 I was that naive. But looking back, I'm glad.

Anyway, now I watch tv shows where dating couples share a bed and it barely phases me. I might lift an eyebrow or roll an eye, but mostly I think, "That's life in this century. I don't agree with it, but what are ya gonna do?"

My point? Live awhile in Today's sinful old world and you become jaded. Even though you think you're not. Even when you try not to.

I mean, what if our 19th century ancestors watched our daily tv news? What if they saw in Technicolor the thousands of daily stories about murder-suicides, rapes, wars everywhere, poverty, illness, corporate corruption and terrorist plots? We've been eased into it all over the years, but what if an ancestor suddenly witnessed just one hour of a news program?

Personally, I believe their heart would fail them.

My other point? This world is far worse than we know it to be, more
End Times-ish than we imagine. We don't realize it, though, because we've grown used to watching all the violence as well as the numerous earthquakes, droughts, fires, hurricanes, tornadoes and water shortages. We know it's bad, yes! But do we really understand how bad? How close we are to the end of Life as we've always had it?


Now please don't guffaw/faint/snicker, but I'm tending to agree with many Christians who believe The Great Tribulation will begin sometime between 2016 and 2023. And really, I'm accepting that I'll never become an old-old lady which--hey--has its perks. Gnaw on that one awhile.

Do I believe a Rapture of the Church will happen at the beginning of The Tribulation? Hmm. Not really. It would be lovely, of course, but I'm aiming more toward living ready either way--to go or to stay, you know, until Christians are done away with.

Which brings me to my last (kinda fun) point (and yes, we can use some fun in this post around now!). I told Tom a few months ago, "Just think! We've got all that money saved-up for retirement, but most likely we'll not spend a cent of it. All that saving and working for it! But, oh well."

And Tom said, "Yep. Oh well. Somebody else can use it." (I do love my husband. Most of the time we're on the exact same page.)

But only recently did I think of the amazing part ... If things go as I'm leaning toward believing, Tom and I will spend our retirement years in Heaven

Oh my goodness! 

Think of the travel there. The sights, the fun, the sun, the mountains, the River of Life, the fields of flowers which never die, the activities, the vacation places to visit not by plane (heh) ...And we'll be in great shape, no creeping along with canes or walkers for us. No, indeed!

Add that up and oh, losing hundreds of thousands of retirement dollars means absolutely nothing. Nada. Zip. Zero. Who can compare an earthly retirement with a Heavenly one? 

So it's ok. The dreadful Tribulation is perhaps just around the corner? If so, with God by our side, it's going to be very, very ok anyway. And Heaven will be way beyond worth any hardship. Way, way beyond worth it.


**********


 "Dear friends, don't be surprised at the fiery trials you are going through, as if something strange were happening to you.  Instead, be very glad -- because these trials will make you partners with Christ in his suffering, and afterward you will have the wonderful joy of sharing his glory when it is displayed to all the world."   ...1 Peter 4:12,13

“Immediately after the tribulation of those days the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light, and the stars will fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens will be shaken."   ... Matthew 24:29

"... but he who stands firm to the end will be saved."   ... Matthew 24:13


6 comments:

Pam said...

Debra, Wow!! If a person believes in the Bible (as I do), what you're talking about is GOING TO HAPPEN, and it could happen anytime. Reading your post was another wake-up call for me, because I get so caught up in the everyday stuff of life, that I forget about the big picture. What lies ahead is awesome!! Sure does give a little wintry weather perspective, doesn't it? Life might not be easy, but it's sure exciting.

Bonnie said...

I don't know about the date prediction because the bible tells us know one knows the time except the Father, but these are definitely End Times. Hard to see it any other way! I had a friend who used to say
"When good looks bad, and bad looks good, you know it's the end." When I was younger I used to think what is the chance that the Lord would come again during my time on earth? But, you never know. Belated Happy Valentines Day to you and Tom!

Debra said...

Pam--oh, I know... the everyday stuff! It gets me distracted, too, so I like wake-up calls. :) Thanks, as always for your encouraging comments!

Bonne--thanks for your Valentine wishes for us!

Oh, and here's something which cleared up the 'not knowing the date' thing:

http://wakeupbabylon.blogspot.com/2012/09/the-day-and-hour-everyone-should-know.html

Actually, his whole blog is dedicated to the subject of these End Days and I find it fascinating. Kinda scary, too, of course ...smile...

Thanks, Ladies! Blessings, Debra

Anonymous said...

Well, we USED to think about like you as to the FUTURE events...and in some we still do...all I want to say is I strongly encourage you to reread Ezekiel, Isaiah, etc...maybe even make some charts to look at similar verses...when you do, it gives one a bit different idea than what we were taught. But as I tell friends who think differently than we do...what we think will not change what will indeed happen...heh, but it might be nice to be a bit prepared in some ways at least...nice to contemplate anyway.
Elizabeth in NC

Debra said...

Elizabeth--things I've believed will happen for years are already happening today! And already I've found myself happy that God has prepared me ahead of time. Much more will take place as Revelation lays out-- I feel this strongly, and I'm believing that between now and then God will prepare me in the right ways. So far so good!

We're at a time when people are doubting what Revelation says--just like the Bible said people would ("Where is Jesus? Why hasn't He returned yet?") But that won't be me. Slowly I'll be the crazy lady plodding along, preparing in tiny ways here and there and believing Jesus is just around the corner. :) Blessings, Debra

Anonymous said...

It is indeed wise to prepare, so much as one can, for the fact that we (as an individual) may not have another day (a mack truck came close to wiping me out) so none of us can depend on life lasting more than moment by moment. But of course, there is being prudent and laying up extra as we can for hard times...that is never a bad idea!!