Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Inspiration On This Misty, Moisty Morning




"Command them to do good, to be rich in good deeds, and to be generous and willing to share."   ... 1 Timothy 6:18

*******
Ack! Totally a warm, misty, moisty morning here, one where I was breathing hard after simply taking a few photos (!)

Sigh. I didn't last even 6 minutes on the front porch at 7:40 a.m. It's that miserable out there. 



But oh well! Yesterday I carried up our downstairs air-conditioner (the little upstairs one just wasn't hacking it anymore) from the basement (barely making it up the basement steps) and the house feels pleasant, humidity-free and I have some presents to share with you:

When Queens Ride By  ... by Agnes Slight Turnball

Alison May from Brocante Home shared that little story from the 1880's and yesterday it inspired me further to return to my vintage roots, something so tempting lately while the outside world goes all modernly bonkers. I can't control what goes on out there, but there's much I can control inside both myself and my home. A warning though--some of you will find the story a bit sexist (a lot?), but even so, there are valuable, lasting attitude lessons there and homey inspiration galore. 

Then today I used my latest Swagbucks gift card to buy Alison's ebook, Life, Love and Vintage Housekeeping, a book a bit like drinking a root beer float while being shown how to make ones home remarkable, fun and always a joy to step into. I wish I'd bought this sooner and I wish I'd not taken such a long vacation from Brocante Home Blog.

Anyway. The proceeds from Alison's book help support her and her young son and well, don't you just love it when you're given a simple way to help others, especially single moms, widows or well, just anyone in need?

... or when, with just a few God-whispered words at Facebook (or in an email or blog post), you can make someone's day, perhaps even help lift them from a pit of depression?

... or when you can smile at someone at the supermarket or help them snatch up the apples they spilled?

... or when you can hand out forgiveness and mercy to those who others have shunned?

Oh, the opportunities God gives us each day to be kind! May we never be under the Too Busy Curse, failing to spread around what others need so badly.



It is in giving that we receive. Give and it shall be given unto you.



******

Can anyone recommend other blogs like Alison's Brocante Home or Time Warp Wives? Ones where the bloggers are living very retro lives?

And just for fun... It's been a few years since I last posted this article: Time Warp Wives: Meet The Women Who Really Do Live In The Past. Lately I've been majorly tempted to live like these ladies do, in a balanced way, but of course! :)

Oh! And I found a YouTube documentary today --The Time Warp Wives! I've wanted to see this show for years and I'm absolutely loving it (except for their very sad views about having children) because I get it.

6 comments:

Dolores said...

Holy cow! Thanks for this terrific post. I was mesmerized by the youtube video of Time warp wives. I just loved that beautiful, 50's kitchen. What gorgeous colors. I also read Brocante Home blog and have ordered her book on my Kindle. I would love to see her house in person, wouldn't you? I'll let you know if I see any cool blogs or videos along these lines. Hey, have you seen The 1940's House? It's available on Netflix.

Debra said...

Dolores! I'm glad you liked this post and yes, I was mesmerized by that Time Warp Wives video, too. :) Let me know what you think about the kindle book, ok? Oh, and Tom and I watched The 1940's House a couple years ago and we both enjoyed it much. (At one point,though, I was shouting at the tv, "Use an eggless cake recipe! I know of one!). heh. Thanks for commenting! ... Debra

Rosemary said...

WOW...this post was so much fun. I love nostalgia and was thrilled with these links. Thanks for making my day, Debra.

Robin in New Jersey said...

You make me smile. :)

Anonymous said...

Sorry about the extreme humidity weather...I have wondered how it was that the east coast was ever settled, after spending our last 10 summers there!! Best to stay inside!! It is somewhat hot here in Seattle area, but so far cools down nicely at night which really helps!! I read that the weather is supposed to break before too very long....hope so for all those we know back there!!
Elizabeth

Debra said...

Rosemary--you're welcome! I'm glad this made your day... this type of stuff is fun, isn't it? :)

Aw, Robin--you make me smile, too. :)

Elizabeth--today is even worse weather-wise (sigh) but yay! Tomorrow we begin cooling down a few degrees each day. Whew. Hope you're enjoying your time with your family!

Thanks, Everyone! ... Debra