Monday, May 27, 2013

Hating What God Loves?

"The alien who resides with you shall be to you as the citizen among you; you shall love the alien as yourself, for you were aliens in the land of Egypt: I am the Lord your God."   ... Leviticus 19:34

***

Happy Memorial Day! Among many things, I am thinking of all those people who traveled here from other countries and ended up fighting in our wars.

Unless you are American Indian, you, too, came from another land, either by plane or boat or by way of your ancestors.

 "Contribute to the needs of the saints; extend hospitality to strangers."   ... Romans 12:13

Think about it. What if your grandparents left everything they owned so to escape an oppressive, dictatorial country where they were dirt poor and crime happened daily outside their windows only to arrive here in our Country and be told:

 "You are not welcome here--you will only take our jobs away from us. The way you were raised by your parents is different than how we live here--so if you stay--your family's traditions must be kept secret, within your own home. You must speak only our language and you must learn it quickly, no matter your age. Do not expect any of us to go the extra mile for you, to give you any leniency or make you feel welcome. Because you aren't welcome. You are less than us because we got here first and there's no room for you. There's only room for us. You don't belong--and you never will."

What if angry people treated your grandparents that way? How would you feel to discover what had been done to them?

I've written in this blog for nearly 9 years and you have never, ever read any criticism from me about immigrants, aliens or so-called illegals (ones who are actually not). And you never will. Whenever I receive incendiary media in my mailbox about how I should be angry about souls from other lands wanting a decent life, I recall these Bible verses I'm sharing here today and I rip that paper into shreds. And then I must calm down my heart.

"Then Peter began to speak to them: “I truly understand that God shows no partiality, but in every nation anyone who fears him and does what is right is acceptable to him."   ... Acts 10:34

If you can read these same verses and still view all foreigners in our country as job-and-welfare-stealing, lazy, terrorists-waiting-to-blow-something-up ... and if your dream is to live in vanilla, monochromatic cities where everyone speaks the exact same language and dresses and looks the same, well, fine. That sounds mind-numbing boring to me, but to each his own.

I do not want plain ol' vanilla wherever I go and I never, ever will. My eyes, my very soul needs more, more color and variety and creativity as a sign that God's fingers passed this way.


"I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me.... Truly I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of my brethren, you did it to me."   ... Matthew 25:35,40

My God is huge enough to provide a home and job for any of us who trust Him and He was loving enough to let His son die for every single, God-created foreigner on this planet. My job, then, is to love His foreign kids, as well, and to keep my heart willing to welcome them and lend them a helping hand.


****

"In that renewal there is no longer Greek and Jew, circumcised and uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave and free; but Christ is all and in all."   ... Colossians 3:11

*******

Some subjects are worth potentially losing a few readers. This, to me, is one of those subjects.



4 comments:

K.E. said...

We are surprisingly quick to forget that we are a nation of immigrants. As you said, 99% of us came from somewhere else not too many generations ago. And it did happen to us. I'm thinking that most of the residents residing in "America" weren't too happy about about that ship The Mayflower landing. No Irish Need Apply - that happened too.
We want to close the gate as soon as WE get here.

Anonymous said...

Actually some of that did happen to many of my relatives. Probably to tons of other's relatives too. They came here before wars that involved their home country. They learned to speak English as soon as possible as they wanted to be American and be able to speak and go about living easily. When they could, the men joined the army. To fight their own home country. They believed in what America stood for. During every war years they had rocks and eggs thrown at them on the streets and naturally for their own safety though it wise to speak German only inside of the home. They understood that even if it was difficult to live here..hopefully temporarily, they knew this country was where they wanted to be. They worked hard as all immigrants do and little by little learned and assimilated and became part of the fabric of America. They kept the family reunions with the other immigrant friends and such. They knew at first they were not welcomed by many but endured. It was not right how they and thousands of other people from other countries were treated and are still, but I am glad they stuck it out cause now I am here! It is hard to leave your home and people and friends and come here. No matter where you come from. A lot here is different from where you used to live and if you do not speak the language it is harder. Please do not think I am against these people. It is just practical. If you went to Paris how would you communicate without some knowledge of their language? You can be taken advantage of or some feel uncomfortable trying to negotiate the landscape or read traffic signs. I am not saying a law should be passed I just hope they can learn the language at some point. I know we are around many people that have been here 20 + years and say they know none of our language. It is hard to communicate at all. I offer a neighbor a ride home when I see them at the down town bus stop and it is hard to get them to realize what I am hoping to do for them. Etc. Etc. I have many neighbors. It is no over estimation that 80% or more of them are from Mexico or other Latin American countries. They are Very Hard Working people. Good neighbors but you cannot communicate on most levels. Yes, some of the young children are their interpreters, if they are around to help. Believe you they do keep their traditions around here. They are the majority in all our schools and streets here. They do not hide. At one time other countries were the majority in other years. It is just their turn now. Good bless them as they worked hard to get here. I understand where you are coming from and Biblical understanding. I am not thinking we disagree. I hope you do not either. Most restaurants and places we shop we only hear Spanish spoken or directions in Spanish. That is a help for them. I just am around so many from many Latin American countries daily and know some of their struggles in a different way. Maybe you have many many immigrants on your street too or you talk to weekly. I hope you understand where I am coming from. I wish them no harm. Sarah

Anonymous said...

Learning the language of your chosen country is so important. It is hard enough to understand each other, even when we speak the same language. But it should be expected of immigrants. And there no doubt could be more ways to help them learn. I do think we should let in those who can show a just reason to be coming...but in an orderly manner so we can handle the influx of people.

And yes, we have helped tutor others in English (informally, we had not been certified to do so), we have kept a refugee in our home some years ago. It is always a joy to help those who want help and want to learn!!

The immigration mess is very complicated...no easy solutions I am afraid.

Blessings, Elizabeth now in WA

Robin in New Jersey said...

My daughter-in-law, moved here from India 8 years ago with her parents. Her father wanted to come here to be a witness to the people who are coming here from India who don't know Jesus. It has cost them thousands of dollars to fill out paperwork and have it processed. Her parents are still waiting on green cards. My dil became a citizen a couple years ago. I do not have a problem with people wanting to immigrate here. What I have a problem with is those who do it illegally. When I see all that Diana's family has been through to come here and stay here, letting illegals stay here is like a slap in the face to those who have abided by the law and done it correctly. Just my 2 cents !