Saturday, March 23, 2013

This Is Your Life











"Serve the Lord with gladness..."   ... Psalm 100:2

****

This was a post from December of 2005 and exactly what I've been thinking about lately while searching for positive comments about the series, Extreme Couponing, but finding only 98% negative ones from people who tempt me to become more of an introvert than I am already. Sigh. I am actually using my birthday gift card to buy newer episodes of Extreme Couponing (hope that didn't make you swallow your gum-- ha!) and with the way our Country is headed? Well, we'll see who's laughing at whom when everything collapses and those with basement food and supplies stockpiles have not only provided for their own families, but are able to help others who did not prepare but only complained, gave-up and pointed fingers.

So there. (Insert a little smiley with his tongue sticking out here.) heh.

****

My favorite Christmas present this year? The newly released set of This Is Your Life dvds. Oh my! This Is Your Life has always, since I was a child, turned me into an emotional wreck--in a good way, of course. I cry and laugh (often simultaneously) while I watch people reunited with those who had an influence on their early lives. How fun and inspirational to hear of the kindnesses actors and others performed behind the scenes of their lives. How lovely to watch their faces reflect joy, love and humility.

And, well, this past week as I've watched these amazing episodes, it has come to me over and over that right now, today, This Is My Life.

This Is My Life as I wash dishes and clothes and run up and down our stairs gathering laundry and Fiestaware mugs and bills to be mailed. This Is My Life as I arise in the mornings and pull back the heavy curtains at the windows to let the snow-light in and as I walk to the kitchen to make coffee, run back upstairs to read awhile, and then proceed to clean this old house with our furniture, antique and new, which I love so much.

This Is My Life as I walk out in the snow to pull the trash can back into the carport from the curb along with the recycling bin, too. This Is My Life as I care for this home while Tom's away at work and then prepare dinner for him by the time he returns. This Is My Life while the retro-shaped radio plays music in the sunroom like the soundtrack from my life and while our cats play with their Christmas toys beside the fireplace. This Is My Life while I write in this blog and teach and tell stories of my life to people I have never met.

And this is it. The only life I will have upon this Earth. The only shot I'll get. 

I am determined to make it a good one. I refuse to ruin it by spending my days wallowing in guilt, negativity or unforgiveness or trying to see into the future or reasoning my way through my days.

I refuse to stand before God someday as I give an account of my life and tell Him I knew better, yet I did not do better. I will not whine to Him that I couldn't help it if I was a sad, groaning, drunk-on-emotions mess. There will be no one standing beside me to point a finger at in blame, either.

Some people look for demons on every doorknob, but I choose to look for fairies. Some people concentrate on what's going wrong, but I choose to think about what's going right.

And some people choose to walk through this life alone, but since This Is My Life, I choose to walk through it with the Friend who sticks closer than a brother... the Friend who squeezes beside me in my recliner, His shoulder to mine, while we watch tv or read or dream on snowy days such as this snowy New Year's Eve morning.

***

"I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want." ... Philippians 4:12


"And so each of us shall give an account of himself to God." ... Romans 14:12


From Proverbs 31:

She is like the merchant ships,
    bringing her food from afar...
15     she provides food for her family...
16 She considers a field and buys it;
    out of her earnings she plants a vineyard.
17 She sets about her work vigorously;
    her arms are strong for her tasks.
18 She sees that her trading is profitable...
    
20 She opens her arms to the poor

    and extends her hands to the needy.
21 When it snows, she has no fear for her household;
    for all of them are clothed in scarlet...
23 
    she can laugh at the days to come.26 
27 

She watches over the affairs of  her household
    and does not eat the bread of idleness.

***

Record numbers go hungry in the U.S.

***

2 comments:

Echoes From the Hill said...

Your life sounds quite a bit like mine. I like my life! I have two friends that feel like I should volunteer my time to a worthwhile cause. I worked in a helping profession for 21 years, before I burned out, and don't feel compelled to volunteer. Do you feel like you should volunteer your time for a charity? I think charity does begin at home, and feel like all of the money saving things we do is worthwhile. So why don't some other people see what we do as useful?
Just a thought.

Debra said...

Echoes--- when people don't understand what I do, I usually remind myself of this Proverb:

"A person's steps are directed by the Lord. How then can anyone understand their own way?"

I mean, hey... if we don't get it half the time, how can we expect others to?

At the moment I don't feel led to volunteer anywhere because nearly all day long I'm using my gifts of writing and encouragement to help others in what I feel are real, lasting ways. Add my household tasks and just living, etc., and it's pretty much a full-time job.

This is why I feel it's vital that each of us know exactly what is our purpose in Life--that way we won't waste time wondering if we're in the right place doing the right things and we won't feel belittled by folks who don't understand. We'll know we're pleasing God and then we can live peacefully, joyfully, not letting others push us into things God didn't mean for us, but rather, for them.

Online I've read some very cruel remarks about those of us who 'stay home' and how what we do to save money is a waste of time and talent, etc. But those are the misguided opinions of people who, again, don't and can't, even, understand what God has called us to do. So we must just forgive them and then go about doing good as Jesus did.

(This is rather long because it's exactly what I've been thinking about this week as I've read some dreadfully mean comments about people who use coupons!)

Thanks for commenting! Blessings, Debra