Sunday, July 01, 2012

These Are My Good Old Days



Another summer re-run!  First published in 2006 then tweaked in 2010 and tweaked a little more in 2012. :)


*******


Life is better when lived fully in the Here and Now.


********
Actually? I don't believe in the so-called Good Old Days of the past.


(Gasp!)


Rather, I believe Carly Simon when she sings, "These are the Good Old Days."


And I believe Solomon when he wrote in Ecclesiastes, "Do not say, 'Why were the old days better than these?' For it is not wise or because of wisdom that you ask this."


As for me, I cannot speak of former days being better than these, for that's a type of hopelessness: "The world used to be a better place, but now we're doomed to the bad stuff." (Ack!) What I long for, instead? I want my blog to be a hopeful place, especially for anyone possibly considering suicide. For them, especially, I will never say, All The Good Days (And Godly Folks) Are Gone.


I spent my childhood during the 1960's. Amazing years those were for me, packed with kid-friendly adventure, laughter, friends galore, picnics, playgrounds, pretending, family reunions, school, art, grandparents' visits, running free outside.


Yet while I was having my fun-packed 60's childhood, a U.S. president and senator were assassinated as was Martin Luther King, Jr.. There were race riots, the Cuban Missile Crisis, the war in Vietnam and college students were being shot by police. There was rampant drug addiction and picketing and leaded gas fumes everywhere.


So if you believe in the Good Old Days of the past, those were mine. The 1960's, one of the best decades of my life.


When were your Good Old Days? During the 1950's? That Good Old decade had the Korean War, devastating outbreaks of polio, the flagrant spraying of poisonous pesticides on food, the threat of nuclear war (remember 'duck and cover'?). There were McCarthy's shameful communism trials and hurricanes, floods and typhoons.


The 1940's is your favorite decade? There was the attack on Pearl Harbor. World War II. Death. Concentration camps. Food rationing.


The 1930's? The Great Depression. The Dust Bowl. Joblessness. Wandering families. Starvation. (Need I go on?)


Ok, so our days, these days of the 21st century are not even close to being perfect, all pie-in-the-sky. But when has life upon this Earth ever been a proverbial bed of roses? When have people ever lived in total harmony? Travel back to the Garden of Eden, even, and people blew that opportunity, too. 


Always, people have sinned and made huge messes with rippling effects.


And so I will choose to believe Life is what we, ourselves, make of it. No matter what is going on around me, on the inside, I can have Good Old Days and I can teach others how to have them, too. And these are my Good Old Days. Today is my Good Old Day. My former years were not better than these present ones because now God is, and He is good. He is good to me. He is good to you.


And God's goodness is as good as good gets. Today and forever after.






*********************


Need some proof that delightful things still happen today? Go here. You'll LOVE this (it was performed after only 2 rehearsals!). And you know? I'm thinking Heaven will have lots of such bursts of dancing out of the blue, ones in praise to an amazing God.


(Always, that video makes me cry, nearly sob, because it makes me think that yes! This was how, in the beginning, God envisioned life would be for us here.)




*********************


From Anticipation by Carly Simon:


"And tomorrow we might not be together
I'm no prophet, I don't know Nature's way
So I'll try to see into your eyes right now
And stay right here, 'cause these are the good old days.
These are the good old days.
These are the good old days."




**********


Want to hear Carly sing her song (and have it swirling in your head all day)? Go here.




**************
"For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms."  Ephesians 6:12




***********

4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Love, Love, Love this ! I am living the good ole days !

Debra said...

Thank-you, Elizabeth for letting me know you enjoyed that post. I really appreciate your telling me (I do!) and I am so glad that you've recognized that you're living the good ole days! Blessings, Debra

Anonymous said...

I got this in an advertisement for cremation! Love the quote though... :) "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, and today is a gift; that's why they call it the present." Eleanor Roosevelt. Yes, I tell my kids about the good old days when I grew up and they tell me no Their childhood was the good old days! To living Any day is to have the good ol days!!! Great post Debra! Sarah

Anonymous said...

Had forgotten how lovely her voice is!! Thanks...yep, we are living in the best days of our lives right now too...heh, retirement is helping!!