Monday, July 09, 2012

Oh Yeah. Excellence.

"Finally then, brethren, we request and exhort you in the Lord Jesus, that as you received from us instruction as to how you ought to walk and please God (just as you actually do walk), that you excel still more."  1 Thessalonians 4:1 



********


Okay. Last week I nearly went bonkers. Really.


I was away from the house maybe 45 minutes, total, which means I was home a heck of a lot. Home alone, mostly. And it was hot (twice I began melting. Think I'm kidding?). And even though I love being home, too much of anything becomes a bad thing, you know, like 'familiarity breeds contempt'.


This staying home alone business became really, really contemptible to me.


I'd get all my housework done early (so to beat the heat) then have around ten hours to just sit around, either at the computer or beneath our ceiling fan while watching Bones. Now, I enjoy Bones, but too much Bones is, well, too much Bones (remember the 'contempt thing'?). And too much reading of books is too much reading of books: out-of-balance is wrong, even if we label a good habit as perfectly ok/acceptable/holy.


Then at Facebook I saw a mention of living up to ones potential and thought huh! I highly doubt that I'm living up to mine. So I tried to think of what else I should be doing. I thought and thought until my brain sizzled and asked God to show me and all I kept hearing were crickets chirping. 


Yet, besides the crickets, I did seem to hear the same old thing, the same ol' broken record which the Holy Spirit seems to enjoy playing: "First-- be excellent in the tasks I've already given you. Then that excellence will lead you to new things."

Rather like, "If I can't trust you with old things, how can I trust you with new ones?"

Gah. Why do I always forget that? Why do I always slip into a belief that  my lazy, wish-and-a-prayer, lick-and-a-promise, procrastinating ways are good and pleasing to God?


Well, I don't know (tho' in my defense, heat and humidity make me zombie-like), but this week I'm going to remember that God desires excellence, especially after He's equipped us with His strength and wisdom. He expects everything we do to be done as unto Him--not with an impossible, you're-defeated-before-you-start type of perfection, but with a very doable, do-the-best-you-can type of excellence (there's a huge difference). 


And that type of excellence, for me, involves completion of tasks begun, and that right there means more time given to what I'm called to do and less time leftover for wandering around in practically a "what shall I do with my life?" kind of coma.


So. Excellence is the word of the day/month/year around here and I'm thinking this week will be a much better one (already today's been much nicer), that is, if I apply excellence. Liberally, in all I put my hand to.




**********


Be well-balanced (temperate, sober of mind), be vigilant and cautious at all times; for that enemy of yours, the devil, roams around like a lion roaring [in fierce hunger], seeking someone to seize upon and devour."  1 Peter 5:7 


**************


I found a great free book for my kindle cloud reader, though it's currently  $3.99 (down from $9.68 a couple days ago. My, these kindle books seem to jump around in price!). Anyway, it's called Charlotte Figg Takes Over Paradise. You can read about it here. Has just the right amount of humor and drama and dessert-and-coffee scenes. :)




****************


"It's the little foxes which spoil the vines..."  from Song of Solomon 2:15


************************

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So what excellence did you get yourself into today Debra ? I decided a while back to not just 'do' but go the distance and do better. I remember years ago Joyce Meyer saying that she hears women praying for a bigger house. She said "Why would God give you a bigger house when you cannot take care of the one little one He already gave you?" If you can't get your dishes done in your little house, if the vacuuming isn't done..the yards a mess, why would He give you more to take care of? What you have and how you take care of it is a reflection of Him. My ears perked up and I have always remembered that. She has also mentioned several times how perturbed she is on seeing a fish[or other Christian accent} on the back of someone's car and they are acting the fool while using the car or being rude etc. She said if you buy a used car with a fish on it..please take it off if you are not going to act like a Christian. You represent what it is to be Christian to the world around you. I bet you have heard her say these too. Yes come up a step. Do your very best in everything. Give Him excellence. :) Sarah

Mary said...

Wow, Debra, excellent and timely post.