Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Time For a Make-Over?


Don't you just love make-overs? Seeing those before-and-after photos, the changes in peoples' faces/hairstyles/clothes/weight/homes/yards etc.?

I think we all do, but then, why do we still insist that we hate change? After all, there is no growth without change. If we're not changing, we're not growing ... and who doesn't want to grow and learn and become better?

Well, anyway, I thought I'd put together a sort of How Are We Doing? List so to make all of us (myself, included) think. Ponder and get honest with ourselves, for we can only change when we admit we're messing-up. And perhaps a couple areas will stand-out as ones where we, ourselves, could use a make-over. Directed and aided by God, of course, for without Him we can do nothing, but with Him? Ahh... the sky (as they say) is the limit. Any change He requires from us will always, always be for our good.

So here you go:

Do I start each day with time with God? Am I consciously aware of Him all day long? Do I express gratitude to Him each hour?
Do people think of me as being kind or impatient?
Do I like myself? Do I enjoy spending time alone or must I always surround myself with other people?
Am I taking care of myself physically? Do I seek natural ways to stay healthy or do I just rely upon med's? Is my first recourse always to pop another pill (treat the symptoms) or treat the cause, instead? 
Am I always learning? Do I often try new things? Or am I in a boring rut?
Do I listen to good biblical teaching daily? Am I putting that teaching into practice, letting it flow from me or just becoming fat with it?
Do I know my own gifts and callings? Am I using them to bless others? Am I learning how to better do what I'm called to do? 
Do I love people more than I love God? Do I listen to people more than I listen to God? Do I obey my feelings more often than I obey God?
Do I neglect my physical appearance? Or is it more important to me than it should be? 
Can I apologize? Is peace within my relationships important to me?
Am I a whiner with a victim mentality? Do I complain instead of change what I can change?
Do I worry a lot? Do I experience much dread or do I have deep, unwavering peace?
Do I spend time with friends? Do I nurture my relationships? Do I spend more time with people who inspire me or with people who depress me?
Do I know which type of music makes me feel uplifted? Am I listening to that?
Can I let go and move on?
Do I have hobbies I enjoy? Am I nurturing my creativity? Do I read good books and good news or bad books and bad news?
Am I living a balanced lifestyle? Am I too busy? Do I work too much? Do I enjoy my work? Or am I lazy? Do I watch too much tv or escape to online activities too often?
Do I love my life? Am I enjoying God and what He's given me or am I putting-off joy until I reach Heaven?
Is my greatest desire to know God better?




*************



"Consequently, I entreat you by the
compassion of God, brothers, to
present your bodies a sacrifice living,
holy, acceptable to God, a sacred
service with your power of reason.
And quit being fashioned after this
system of things, but be transformed
by making your mind over, that you
may prove to yourselves the good
and acceptable and complete will of
God." ~ Romans 12:1 - 2



*****************

"... but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity."  ... 1 Timothy 4:12

"He who the Son has set free is free, indeed."  John 8:36


*****************************

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can see several makeovers in that list! God just convicted me of one of them two days ago so I have a head start on working on that one! :) I can see that this list for me at least, should be reviewed often!!! Thanks a LOT! Sarah

Saija said...

just catching up on your news and stuff ...

(hugs) and blessings on ya!

Trish said...

I'm printing this out to refer to often, great encouragement

Robin in New Jersey said...

Ouch!

Thank you Debra!
I needed that list. I will be reading it again and implementing some of it too!

Anonymous said...

Hi, your blog really touches me, have been reading it for awhile... Just wanted you to know about a website i started ReadYourBiblesChurch.com... It's a place for Bible study guides.. I also put a forum in that can be viewed from a mobile device.. I couldn't find where to contact you privately so I'm commenting, hope that is okay. :) God Bless!
Jenn.