Tuesday, March 06, 2012

Another Book Recommendation

Don't you love it when God leads you to just what you needed and at the perfect time you needed it?


That's what happened to me yesterday when He took me here, to an online book called Revealing Heaven by Kat Kerr. See, last week God had me reading lots of testimonies online from people who'd visited either Heaven or Hell--I'm thinking He needed to stir-up my compassion for people's eternal whereabouts and my part in seeing they spend eternity with Him.


Anyway, by yesterday I still had some questions about Heaven and also some heaviness about the awfulness of Hell, and well, after finishing reading Revealing Heaven, most of my questions had been answered and the heaviness had lifted.... so hooray!


And before any of you read this book, I'd like to share one more thing. Way, way back when we lived in California in the 1980's, I remember cleaning house one morning while the 700 Club aired and then I stopped for a couple moments while they shared a testimony about the actor, John Wayne. The commentator said John Wayne's family notified them that, before his death, he'd been watching the 700 Club in his hospital room and he'd gotten out of his bed, knelt beside it and prayed to ask Jesus to come into his heart.


I have never forgotten that. It meant much to me because, see, since I was ten years old (or so) God has, over and over, placed a compassionate burden upon my heart to pray for the salvation of various tv and movie stars. So to discover that John Wayne had asked Jesus into his heart before his death--oh! A huge, huge blessing for me.


Well, amazingly, he is mentioned specifically in Revealing Heaven and my proverbial socks were blown off. I felt as though that mention of him came on just the perfect day for me.


And that news came just before Naomi contacted us that she'd arrived in Nashville safely. Oh happy, happy day. God is so incredibly good to begin this new season of my life so happily.


Just one more note: While reading these testimonies last week and also reading about various evangelists both from Today and Yesterday, I came across comments from  people criticizing what they'd read. And it came to me so clearly--no wonder we are so slow to learn anything new! Too many times we read something that our pastor or ol' Grandma Betty would have disagreed with and then we automatically disagree with it, too, especially if we (proudly) believe our own understanding is complete and always 100%. 


We too often push those new-to-us thoughts away, neatly dismiss the new thing we've read and the person who wrote it, without pondering things in our heart first, as Mary in the Bible did, thus allowing God to explain things to her rather than her limited mind.


That is so like throwing out babies with the bath water. And it is like doing all we can to stay stuck in our small, sad spiritual states.


Just had to add that before you read Revealing Heaven. And also, I loved how the author explained that it grieves God tremendously when we speak negatively against pastors and evangelists (even tv ones). For whole decades He's placed the awesome importance of that upon me ... and I am so grateful. I need all the help I can get from Him so not to blow it.


And tomorrow we'll even have 54 lovely, sunny degrees!


Oh wow. God is so very, very good, indeed.






********************




If you'd like to watch a youtube video with the author of Revealing Heaven, go here. (She seems like a fun lady.)






*********************



"The reward of humility and the reverent and worshipful fear of the Lord is riches and honor and life."  ... Proverbs 22:4




"But Mary treasured up all these things and pondered them in her heart."  ... Luke 2:19




*********************************