Monday, February 27, 2012

Ah, Pruning...


My weekend was great fun, due largely to those Jesse Duplantis youtube videos I shared with you. Oh, that infused joy he has! Well, it's the spreadable kind, it spread all over me, and how I appreciated it.

I mean, most of the Christians I know in Real Life or Blogland or Facebook are well, bummed-out. They're complaining about the President and who's running for president and money woes, the bad economy, the cold weather and their hurt feelings, body pains and wayward kids.

You know, the same things everybody else who doesn't even know Jesus is complaining about.

And truthfully? I need a few more good, joy-filled, God-knows-what-He's-doing folks in my life. My quota for bummed-out Christians was long ago filled-up so now I'm on a search for more joy-infused Christians, ones like Joyce Meyer and good ol' Jesse Duplantis. You know, rare, shining jewels in the midst of typical, everyday ones. Praisers, not mutterers.

For me, this is another of those godly pruning times. He is snip, snip, snipping off anything from me which would pull me down into mediocrity, depression and gloom.

Like in 2010... He pruned away one of my oldest local friends. It was such an obvious thing---bam, bam, bam! In one week there appeared a stack of misunderstandings between us, we couldn't seem to communicate suddenly, and she came against a blog post of mine-- said it was mean-spirited (it was about accepting and forgiving people). I'd already been feeling like I was doing all the giving in that friendship, had become more of a constant phone counselor, than a friend.

And snip! God pruned it all back. We visited once shortly before Tom and I moved from the farm and things appeared fine, but nothing has happened since then. It was an amicable parting, but a God-ordained one... and you don't go trying to resurrect those unless He tells you.

Truthfully, I've been fine ever since. And it's not like I've got this whole plethora of friends in the wings, either, just waiting to go out with me for coffee or shopping. No, I'm often alone, well, here with Tom, though we do enjoy having friends over to the house. But one thing I've learned--I'd rather be alone with God than surrounded by people who weaken my faith and bring me down, so much so, that it requires weeks for God to yank me back up. Been there, done that, don't want to go back for the T-shirt.

Pruning times! What lessens the pain of all the snip, snip, snipping is for me to remind myself that--when God removes something broken or diseased--He replaces it with something fixed and healthy. Sweeter things, fresher, and something which will help us grow stronger and more beautiful in Him.



********************


"But let all those who take refuge and put their trust in You rejoice; let them ever sing and shout for joy, because You make a covering over them and defend them; let those also who love Your name be joyful in You and be in high spirits."  ... Psalm 5:11




"Any branch in Me that does not bear fruit [that stops bearing] He cuts away (trims off, takes away); and He cleanses and repeatedly prunes every branch that continues to bear fruit, to make it bear more and richer and more excellent fruit."  ... John 15:2



"Beloved, do not be amazed and bewildered at the fiery ordeal which is taking place to test your quality, as though something strange (unusual and alien to you and your position) were befalling you."  ... 1 Peter 4:12




******************

Of course, now I'm asking myself, "Do I carry around a supply of spreadable joy? How about spreadable peace? Spreadable compassion?"


******************

Free half-gallon of milk with the purchase of 3 breakfast products. This is a Facebook coupon and is available until March 3rd to the first 10,000 people daily. I was able to use my back button to print two...yay! I wish this would have been available last week when my favorite cereal was on sale...


******************

1 comment:

Rose said...

Hi Lorie~see if this address can lead you to my blog
http://goodwife-rose.blogspot.com/
I hope it does. I was really enjoying reading your posts. God bless, Rose