Friday, January 27, 2012

When The Stars Go Away

Gah. Another actor passed away.

I hate it when that happens. Of course, I also hate it when pretty much anybody dies.

Anyway, this time it was Robert Hegyes and he was only 60. Back in his Welcome Back, Kotter days, a 17-year-old me had such a crush on him. Such. A. Crush. I'd watch the show and just stare at him, dwell upon his cuteness, making me unable to follow the plot (which says much since the plots were geared toward infants). Alas.

Well, as I said, I hate it when actors young or young-ish pass away. In fact (and I'm wondering if any of you are like this, too) often I can no longer even watch an actor's films if I've discovered that he/she had a life full of sadness, struggle, or if their demise was horrid. Like last week I watched probably my favorite ever episode of The Twilight Zone ('Walking Distance'), after which I looked up the star, Gig Young, at IMDB. Good grief. I was beyond sorry that I did. (Do not read about him if you don't want your day spoiled.)

A couple days later I got out my new NCIS dvd's to watch the special features and the producer said they'd had to rewrite a script because the little person, Michael Gilden (who's character I'd super-enjoyed on two episodes) had passed away. I thought, "How sad! I wonder what sickness he died from." So I got up, went to IMDB again and discovered that he'd commited suicide at 44.

Oh dear. Now I will struggle while watching those two episodes, but of course, it's all so very, very much worse than that. Suicide. Another life snatched away by one's own hands, leaving thousands of freshly-wounded, grieving people in its wake. I don't know about you, but with every suicide I hear of, a part of me dies, too, and other parts limp around seeking healing from God.

We all need each other.
We all matter.
We are all vital to making this world go around as God meant it--and whenever anyone removes himself from the equation too soon--we all suffer in some ways. Ways not always known and recognized, either, but rather, felt with a sense of loss, defeat and the knowing that some things ought not to have happened--and yet they did.

Never, ever give up. The pain in your life today may not even be here tomorrow. And it's so important to stick around long enough to wait it out, to see what happens, to believe that suddenly! God can make a way where this is no way... and everything could change for the better in a moment.



********************


Acts 12:7


And suddenly an angel of the Lord appeared [standing beside him], and a light shone in the place where he was. And the angel gently smote Peter on the side and awakened him, saying, Get up quickly! And the chains fell off his hands
 
 
Acts 16:26


Suddenly there was a great earthquake, so that the very foundations of the prison were shaken; and at once all the doors were opened and everyone's shackles were unfastened.

Acts 22:6


But as I was on my journey and approached Damascus, about noon a great blaze of light flashed suddenly from heaven and shone about me.


1 Thessalonians 5:2


For you yourselves know perfectly well that the day of the [return of the] Lord will come [as unexpectedly and suddenly] as a thief in the night.



*********************

Oh! Almost forgot this Walton reunion interview from The Today Show. I just found it last night and enjoyed it much, though they should have mentioned Ralph Waite at least once! (Love him as Jethro Gibb's dad.)

*********************

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is a sad world. But a new and better day will come one day when all sorrows will flee away...what a grand day!! People who take their own life must be mentally ill. Even tho most of us have probably felt like life was not worth a lot sometimes, in the darkest valleys. But yes, you are right...you have to hang in there and it will be better!! The main person who helps us is GOD...being without HIM is the great tragedy. At times HE is all we have!! And that is the most sad, that anyone does not know HIM!!
Elizabeth in NC

Anonymous said...

Just went to see the interview with the Waltons..AWESOME!! I LOVED that show!!! We have watched it over and over down through the years!! Lots of other links to see there too on youtube. Thanks a lot for including THIS link!!
Elizabeth in NC