Friday, November 18, 2011

Of Sending My Brain on Vacation

"For my yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give you is light."  ... Matthew 11:30




Ok, I confess. Sometimes I send my brain on vacation.


I mean, see that verse above, the part where Jesus says, 'the burden I give you is light'? Well, the burden I give myself is downright heavy.


I nag myself a lot. "Shouldn't you be doing more?" I ask myself. "Aren't you resting quite a bit lately? Yes, you've been through much this year, but shouldn't you be over the trauma of it all by now? Shouldn't you have moved on already? And yes, you're schedule is so unpredictable now, but you should be able to blast through all that anyway. Now, no matter what."


Yada, yada. Nag, nag, nag. But the scary thing is that I get to thinking that that sort of nagging is the holy thing to do. Doesn't God expect me to keep after myself, to be disciplined so to remain on the right path?


Well, yes, He does. But there's my part and then there's God's part in keeping me on the straight and narrow. There's me nagging me and then there's God's convicting me. They're different. They don't even sound the same. But I forget that and it all grows so muddled inside my head sometimes.


And when it does, that's when I send my brain on vacation. I make myself relax. I give myself permission to be happy, right this moment, even with all my imperfections and wonderings whether I'm doing enough. Over and over on my 'brain vacation days' I tell myself to knock-off the nagging and just enjoy. Life. People. What I've been given. And, for heaven's sake, give myself a break.


Whew, I love days like those. And you know? It amazes me that usually I accomplish more on those days--and I have much more fun doing God-requested tasks. When obeying God, enough is truly enough. The constant driving of oneself, stops.


Even simple things like these with which I'll close my post. I'd placed my long, oval white table between my beds, but that meant I could hardly sit up in bed, what with this crazy sloping ceiling. So yesterday I moved this small blue dresser there instead:




... and pushed the beds closer together and now I can sit in bed much more comfortably. Yay! The dresser top is higher and more easily reached, though it does block a bit of sunlight (but then, we can't have everything perfect, right?).


Then I moved the oval table where the blue dresser had been:




... and that's a hundred percent better because I sit here in the mornings waking up and watching tv with my cup of hot chocolate. But before, it was like musical chairs up on the dresser top, what with my cup and tv remote and lamp and kleenex box. But now? Ah, luxury. Room for everything.


Then I streamlined my dresser top, got rid of much clutter and I prefer this ever so much better:







Ah, small improvements, yet large to me and my daily living.  These good sorts of things happen when I send my (nagging, burdened) brain on vacation. Trust me--in the future-- this ol' brain is going away, resting, taking Jesus' burden, instead, way more often than my own.


And oh, Life will be even better then.






******************


"For if our heart condemns us, God is greater than our heart, and knows all things. Beloved, if our heart does not condemn us, we have confidence toward God." (1 John 3:20, 21)


***************


Is anyone else watching the CBS show, Person of Interest? I've watched since the beginning, though always online because no way can I stay up past 10 p.m. anymore (I'm blessed when I make it past 8:00!). The main stars are two of my very favorites and the show is quite suspenseful, a bit like my all-time favorite, Early Edition.  Not for everyone, but I enjoy it. Watch here, if you dare.  :)


*************

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you are right, Debra...so often GOD requires less of us than we put on ourselves...all about learning more of Him, isn't it?
Elizabeth in NC

Morning's Minion said...

The wicker chair with the cushions and afgan looks so inviting--and room for a cup of tea on the little table---perfect!
Still rearranging and culling things here--after a year and a half of sorting belongings we still have too many for this little house.

Pat said...

It looks so lovely! A perfect little hobit retreat!
My problem seems to be wanting to use every picture and piece of furniture I own. I need to eliminate some objects so I can enjoy more of what I have.

Anonymous said...

I heard it said in spring we do spring cleaning and the fall we declutter. Well I am trying to!! :) I have tossed so many things...including...oh no!... books! Then I turn round and more needs to go. Seems endless, but I am getting to the place I want to be round here. Cozy but not cramped in my little house. Your room looks so inviting and cozy. I can hear Donna Reed's theme song in the background. :) Or is that Blondie and Dagwood's theme?? :) :) Sarah

Anonymous said...

I forgot to say ...No I have not watched Person of Interest. Actually I don't pay attention to much that is on tv now. I did love Early Edition so I will watch this show on the link you gave us. Thanks mentioning it. Sarah