Sunday, November 13, 2011

Of The Crock Pot Cure

Oy! We must have made Hobbit Cottage too weather-tight because already, in early November, I was experiencing dry air sinusitis symptoms, even after leaving the window next to my bed open a tad. Even after occasionally leaving some water on the stove to steam. Even so.

So there I was, my nose 'a runnin', and little scrunched-up kleenexes atop the furniture in my room when aha! A light bulb moment. Why not bring my crock pot up here, fill it with water, and let it add moisture to the air and relieve my symptoms?

And that's what I did and that's what it's doing:


What a difference! In fact, after hours of complete normalcy, I turned the crockpot off last night, opened the window a bit to bring in moistened air instead, but then soon back came the runny nose and the sneezing. So I closed the window, added more water to the crock pot, and then slept with it on all night. And alas, a problem-free night. And morning. And afternoon.

Hooray! And speaking of that crock pot, while living at the farm I bought it at a yard sale and always wondered afterward why I bought that crock pot because nothing in my kitchen was blue. Nothing. I could easily have waited for another crock pot at another yard sale (they're everywhere), but I didn't. Yet now? Years later I know the answer: I've decorated with lots of blue here at Hobbit Cottage. Mystery solved.

I should know better than to try figuring out why I do what I do (and why God does what He does). When we're led by God, it's nearly impossible to understand many decisions we make. You know, the ol'...

"A man's steps are directed by the Lord. How then can anyone understand his own way?" ...Proverbs 20:24


... thing.


 So much in Life requires faith and lots of waiting until after a thing is over before we understand what was what. And we become happier people when we just accept that. At least, I did.


***************


Found the perfect place for the last peel-and-stick quote from Dollar Tree:



It says, "Everyday is a gift."

Because it is, you know.


**********************

5 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Yes, it is Debra. I love this post ,it is so true,I keep finding the same thing happening,it is wonderful to know that he is watching over us and directing our path. Love that Andy Williams album I see too!

Kristi in the Western Reserve said...

In the fulness of time (one of my favorite phrases) your need for a blue and white crock pot was revealed and filled! Wonderful!

But I'm a little confused by your use of the word alas which is an expression of regret. Well, it's late at night and my mind is working none too swiftly at the moment. I'm just really happy that all is working well for you, Debra! As it does for those that love God and make room to listen to his voice.

cough said...

This "wonderful" posting Completely useful..good source, thanks anyway!

Anonymous said...

Love the crockpot idea and the peel and stick quotes, too! Joyce

Anonymous said...

Do you leave the lid on when using your crock pot this way? The water does not evaporate much..set on high? This is a great idea by the way!! How funny...my used crock pot was green...and you guessed it , wrong colors for that kitchen but we moved and now...yes we have green. That was one 50c worth spending! We've had it for at least 15 years. :) I'll pass this idea along to many. thank you again! Sarah