Monday, October 10, 2011

Oh, The Responsibility (And Fun) Of It All



So! God's given me this brand new life and I've had sufficient time to recover from the whole packing-and-selling-stuff-and-moving-and-unpacking-and-settling-in thing. Enough lolling around watching I Love Lucy re-runs and just staring gratefully at these Hobbit Cottage walls while murmuring, "I can't believe we're really here," like, twenty times a day.

Yes, now God's saying it's time to create a whole new life here. And do something.

Oh, the possibilities! And what I'm noticing? There's time here for everything that should be done. So what a relief, right? Well, mostly, yes, of course. But additionally that means my excuses for not completing tasks have vanished, especially when it comes to the ol', "I could change the whole world, practically, if I didn't always have to mow that huge, annoying lawn. Or care for this old farmhouse that attracts dust 24/7 like a Swiffer product."

Hey, that lawn is gone and so is the 130-year-old dusty farmhouse. And so are those excuses along with all the others I used in my past farm life.

So there's a hunk of responsibility now, but you know? I'm up for this whole new life for I wanted it badly for so long and I'm thrilled that now I actually have oodles of time to catch up on email and snailmail, encourage people at Facebook, write in this blog, take walks, study, entertain friends and mend my clothes (I sewed buttons on pants this weekend that had needed them for over a year!).

There's tons of time for baking, washing dishes, cleaning house, completing surveys, working-out, doing laundry, shopping for groceries. And fun! There's scads of time for that, too.

This Hobbit Cottage is simple to run, especially the more organized I become. And since at least one-third of our possessions are gone, there's much less time needed to care for what's left.

Now what remains is for me to allow God and Grace to be the leaders around here, to desire their ways, their ideas and plans and wisdom rather than my own. That way each day will be wrapped in obedience and I'll have all the strength required to accomplish anything they ask of me.

And too? There will be delight and joy and fun sprinkled everywhere along the way. I know--I've lived this way before and am so thrilled to be back again.



*******************

So what's the story with the photo, above? We'd lived here a whole month when one day in Tom's downstairs' bedroom, I looked at his two bathrobes thrown across the bed and thought, "Gee it would be nice to be able to put a hook on the back of the door as we've always done before, but this door is made of that plastic (vinyl) stuff so I'd better not." A highly doubtful little voice said, "Maybe there's a hook already there." Hoping against hope, I looked behind the door and voila! Hobbit Cottage came through again with another delightful surprise.

Totally made my whole week.


***************

Proverbs 19:21

Many are the plans in a person’s heart, but it is the Lord’s purpose that prevails.


***************

1 comment:

Kristi in the Western Reserve said...

Someday perhaps I will be in a smaller house/yard, but for now it's getting better by eliminating so much that is not used or appreciated anymore. It is a sense of lightness.

How fun that you found a hook just where you hoped one would be!