Saturday, June 11, 2011

Choosing Not to Complain

"Now unto Him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to His power that works within us..." ... Ephesians 3:20



Of course, I could complain.

Tom lost his job. He's not really in shape for a new one. He has myriad problems with his back and other problems he's not even told me about (he said this week).

Tom's medical insurance won't transfer out of our state. He'll need to apply for disability if we want to move out-of-state or if he doesn't wish to retire early. He can't decide which he wants.

Without a job, we'll need to buy a house with our net profit from the sale of this one (which, Honey, ain't much). We'll need to buy a small house with a smallish yard since we both are, well, out-of-shape, not the strong kids we used to be and not likely to improve (being rather lazy slug-like folks).

Two of my favorite friends died in the past two years (one of them in the past two weeks). My favorite cat died, too.

Tom's mom had a heart attack/stroke two weeks ago. His dad is not handling living alone well at all, is becoming too cranky for relatives to handle and needs to move into an elder care place.

And that's just the tip of the proverbial iceburg.

But you know? I am refusing to complain. I want to be different--I've always wanted to be different, and well, everybody complains. It takes no special talent: any average person can do it. Besides, I've noticed that complaining depletes energy from my body which could have been used for seeking solutions and so why do that?

So rather than voice even one doubt about being able to sell our house with 1.) the huge yard in this tiny middle-of-nowhere town and 2.) Today's economy, I'm just plugging away at finishing our kitchen floor and painting cabinets and ...

(Oh! I forgot to tell you. We needed more cabinets in our kitchen (our realtor agreed)so Tom was checking Craig's List and we were pretty ok about spending money on cabinets when oy! Tom found the perfect solution free on the curb. Pictures to follow after I paint them.)

.... and decluttering my way to freedom. I'm believing for someone to step upon our property and fall in love. And not allowing my thoughts to travel in an opposite direction.

And you know? Last night our real estate lady called and said that nearly the moment after our listing appeared online, she got a call from a young couple who sound very seriously interested. Wow. Now that's encouraging.

And rather than concentrate on what's going wrong, I'm choosing to meditate upon what's going right.  And handling one problem at a time rather than allowing myself to feel overwhelmed (I'm just now getting that down, pat. That one has taken mega time).

Instead of piling emotional hurt upon hurt (and blowing-up later), I've been consciously taking days off in order to heal. A new hurt comes along? More days off, I say, to spend extra time with the Healer. (I realize that is a luxury. I am grateful for it.)

And so it goes. Every life has difficult seasons and I'm currently in the middle of one. But you know? I'm finding that no season is too hard for God. No season is so bad that He cannot fling healing and joy around in our hearts in the midst of the pain. And make us see Life in a whole new way.

God is incredibly good.


**********


"Do not allow your hearts to be troubled, neither let them be afraid." ... John 14:27



***********


"Now the people complained about their hardships in the hearing of the Lord, and when he heard them his anger was aroused. Then fire from the Lord burned among them and consumed some of the outskirts of the camp." ... Numbers 11:1

(Yikes!!)

4 comments:

Mary said...

Very wise (and timely) yet again. Thanks Debra

Odie Langley said...

You are so right Debra. We have an assortment of problems but we can choose not to complain about them and that will actually help make the day better.

Pat said...

What a wonderful attitude of the heart. God is sure to honor that and take care...once again...of not only your needs, but the desires of your heart.

Anonymous said...

Many times the difficult places in life seem to meld out into good places...we just cannot see it "in process". Thus it is good to practice not complaining...but it does take practice, eh? So it seems to me...in that I find it easier to complain.

Blessings, Elizabeth in NC