Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Why Do I Love This House??

Okay. When I told Tom that I loved this house (above) in Franklin, NC, he said, "Wow. You really have changed!" To which I told him, "See? I told you I've been changing lately!"
I mean hey... why should I love this place? It's called a garage house, for goodness sake. It obviously was designed by a man--it has just one bedroom, one bath and half the house is a garage. I mean, come on...
But I love the tall ceilings and the large rooms. The deck off the back, too (one of Tom's first projects could be to make a frame over it so we could hang screening). The yard is so woodsy it would probably take care of itself (we had woodsy yards in a California mountain town--their care was a cinch).
This part reminds me of a church's dining hall--maybe that's why I love it, too, having grown-up in churches--literally in one case during ages 11-14. (Long story, but good years they were.)
But you know? As I talked this over with Tom (who only mildly+ likes it), I think I answered my own question as to why I love this unique place. Besides the fact that it's rather like a cabin in the woods (my dream since age 14), I think inside my head I'm picturing serving Tom breakfast in the mornings, then shooing him into the garage-half of the house where he'd have his own man cave. For hours. And in a way, that would be like the old days of him driving away in the mornings to his job, leaving me free to play Suzy Homemaker at home for hours. He'd work (or play) inside the garage half, I'd work and play in the house half.
Yes, I think that's why I find myself dreaming about this goofy house. Tom could have half and I could have half--yet he'd be only six inches away (on the other side of a wall). Ahh, the best of both worlds.

I also like it because it's only $49,500.

I know. I know. I'm crazy. But oh! It's fun to dream outside of boring ol' boxes! :)



************************


Anyone else kinda like this house in the woods? (Please don't tell me if you hate it nor give me 80 reasons why it's foolish to consider. Currently I prefer my blissful ignorance.) Of course, the wisest thing would be to build a guest room and half bath at one end of the garage, then we'd have two bedrooms and one-and-a-half baths. And no, I wouldn't make Tom sleep out there in the new guest room inside his garage.....heh....

Or would I? :)



*************************

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE IT!!! And the location is pretty great too!!!!

Something hubby and I have talked about...we have thought to get some kind of rig, like a 5th wheel and truck, for example...with a Tall Garage to park inside when not traveling and a nice little apt. tacked on somehow to the tall garage!

Did you find it via Trulia?
Will be watching to see what you decide!!

Blessings, Elizabeth in NC

Odie Langley said...

I think it looks great but then that is just me and it doesn't take much to impress this simple old guy. Truthfully though I wish you guys could find somewhere that you could enjoy mild winters and not be snow bound for so long.

Pat said...

I find it very interesting! I especially like the part where hubby goes into his man cave you stay in the house part!
It actually looks nice, and I love a woodsy lot. Our cottage is on a woodsy lot, and it takes very little up keep, just mow a decent circle around the cottage and call it done!

Echoes From the Hill said...

If you want small, trees, how about on a lake? I will sell you our little A-frame in south Texas!
Oh, the lake does have a few alligators, but I've never seen one.
:)
nancyr

Kristi in the Western Reserve said...

I'm thinking wild flowers in the woods in the spring, and no grass to cut.......Seriously, I think you and Tom could find a good life anywhere.
And it's fun to think outside the box!

Dolores said...

What's not to like? It's adorable!

Anonymous said...

It's darling. The whole place looks like little maintenance is required unless you care to add more. Potential there.

Wilma

Margie said...

I think if you love it, then love it!