Friday, March 18, 2011

Welcoming Spring Days Earlier Than Its Official Arrival

Oh wow.

Tom and I survived our 17th Buffalo winter! And technically, since we've always lived in snow country together--we survived our 32nd long, snowy, cold, icy winter.

But just barely this time. :)

Yesterday I sat outside on our sunny patio, glanced at my Mary Jane's Outdoor Book, but with eyes that kept wandering to gleaming bare trees and meadows and our winter lake with the marsh beyond it. Two frogs occasionally serenaded me with loud creak-creaks! that echoed in the afternoon country silence and oh, as the song says, "Heaven came down and glory filled my soul," even later while I bent down (painfully, because of my injured rib) to pick up downed branches, tossing them into the wheelbarrow.

I so need Spring this year. Need it like vitamins, exercise and good food, even though just a single month of winter wracked my head and heart and threatened to sink me. But what a month! Yet God, with His fingers, held my face above the swirling waters and swam me to higher ground. How does anyone swim through Life without Him?

And now Spring! Oh, I'm thinking I'll spend this Springtime outside. I'll bask my face in the country breezes, openness and greenery and the space! Ah, space and time alone. I must spend hours alone each day--no more attempting to reinvent myself. I will no longer apologize for needing oodles of hours alone, nor will I feel guilty about that.

So fling wide the doors and windows and bring on the freedom of Springtime! I am so very ready to forget yesterday, (remembering only its lessons), and to skip into newness of Life, that of Nature and of my own.

1 comment:

Lori Alexander said...

I LOVE that song! I wish we would sing those old time songs in church once in awhile. They are so rich with meaning...."Heaven came down and glory filled my soul....my sins are washed away and my night was turned to day..."