Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Of Battles and Peace Won

"Fight the good fight of faith..."

*****

I think that's why I like watching LOST and Heroes type of shows. There's just something about seeing men, especially, fighting against tyranny and depraved murderers so to rescue trapped people and whisk them to freedom. There's just something about that kind of Old Testament bravery, there's like this bright gleam upon the faces of men who know their purpose and --rather than crawling away from it--go racing toward it as though splashing into a sea of light. Or something.

And then last week while Tom and I watched the final episodes of LOST, I thought, "I wish I had an important purpose, one I could give myself to. Something for which to fight hard and long."

Right away inside me I heard, "Silly, you do!"

And of course I do.

In this fight of faith, always there's something to overcome. There's my tendency to whine about winter and worry about Tom or Naomi driving out over icy roads. There's my concern about my over-50 memory and my oh-so-annoying resistance to exercise (which would aid my memory. Duh.). There's the unemployment thing and trusting, really trusting, that God will keep making everything all right for, like, forever.

And of course there's always someone to help. Good gracious! Always someone out there needs encouraging words to help them realize tomorrow will come and it can be better than today. And that God wants to become their everything and make them stronger, wiser and joy-filled. That He wants to fix us in all the places we're broken.

Always there are battles to fight, battles which I'll discover--when I reach Heaven--had eternal significance. Eternal. Significance.

So oh my, may I never lean back on the couch and whisper, "Let someone else fight. I just want peace." For you know, real peace comes only after the battles have been fought, battles for which God spends an awful long time preparing us--and enables us to win while fighting strong right there beside us.





******************


“Some people confuse acceptance with apathy, but there's all the difference in the world. Apathy fails to distinguish between what can and what cannot be helped; acceptance makes that distinction. Apathy paralyzes the will-to-action; acceptance frees it by relieving it of impossible burdens.”


... Arthur Gordon



********************


“Apathy is the glove into which evil slips its hand”


...Bodie Thoene

4 comments:

Jenny the Pirate said...

I'm for getting in there and fighting too, Debra. I hate the status quo. Ever onward and upward!

I've never seen even one minute of the show LOST. People keep telling me I need to watch it. Now maybe I will! I am intrigued by your post.

Debra said...

Jenny--ah! By your title I can see you are a fighter. Good! And yes! I hope you will watch LOST. Start from the very first episode, though, or it'll all be so confusing. heh. (It gets confusing even when you do watch from the beginning!) :) If you have Netflix you can watch all six seasons instantly.

And even though I don't know you well yet--because you commented on this post--I'm thinking your friends are right--you just may enjoy LOST a lot. I kept seeing so many life lessons throughout the whole series. I love tv shows that are like sermons with people in them. :) Thanks for commenting....Debra

Judy said...

LOVE those quotes!

I just may have to memorize those.

Debra said...

Judy--glad you liked the quotes. :) I googled 'apathy quotations' and found them that way.

And Jenny-- just wanted to add that you might also like the tv series, Heroes. Maybe even more than LOST. :) These also can be seen instantly at Netflix.

Blessings, Debra