Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Riled Up? Or Calm With Trust? (Or, What Kinds of Boat Rides Are You Taking In Your Head?)

I love to read blogs, mostly to read what bloggers are thinking even more than what they are doing.

But sometimes in waves, it seems, bloggers get all in a dither. Upset. Worried.

Upset that people are selfish.
Mad at our Country and its leaders.
Upset at mega-churches. Disappointed with tiny ones.
Worried about their children.
Mad at their relatives.
Worried about money, the economy and Life.

Some of them are masters at making the upset appear as holiness: "This is righteous anger." Or, "I'm upset, mad and worried because I love so deeply."

Hmmm. I wonder.

And oh my. Always I'm so tempted to leave just one comment in their boxes. Can you guess what it is? It's this:

"Martha, Martha. You are worried and upset about so many things."

I've yet to do that, though.

Somewhere I read that 90% of our worries never come to pass. If that's true, then that means 90% of the 'worry time' we put our bodies and minds through a type of needless torture. And worse, 90% of that 'worry time' we hurt God's feelings because we didn't trust Him to work things out. To care for those for whom we worried. To fix what was wrong in the areas which upset us.

That's what bothers me the most when I get all hot and bothered, when I allow my head and heart to get so riled up that I can't think clearly, can't remember to pray, can't recall the calm of trust. When my mind is so occupied with all that's going wrong, I can't hear God remind me of all that's going right. All the noise in my head drowns out--not only His instructions of what to do next--but His whispers of "Peace be still" in the midst of the storm.

A quiet heart--that's what I want. And a head without the swirling storms of my own making, but rather, one always at peace, always calm enough to hear His still, small voice. Always calm enough to step out of the boat in obedience, in wisdom, ignoring any fear.




************



John 14:27
Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world gives, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.



************

Mark 4:19
And the cares of this world, and the deceitfulness of riches, and the lusts of other things entering in, choke the Word, and it becomes unfruitful.

3 comments:

Kim said...

Okay, now you and Milton are twins!

http://donteatalone.blogspot.com/

Debra said...

How fun, Kim! I'll have to add his blog to my blogroll now, seeing as how we are twins and all. :) Thanks for the heads-up! Blessings, Debra

Jan said...

God has spoken to me in the last few days...."Trust Me" has been the non stop message!