Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Pulling Out The Ol' Tablet for New Resolutions

Hooray! A new year approaches us and so does the opportunity to create new goals, visions and dreams. Why so many people hate the idea of New Year's Resolutions, I'll never understand. Personally? I love anything which smells and feels like starting over with a clean, white sheet of paper in the book which is my life.

So today I'll grab my notebook, the one where I record "Things to Remember" lists and begin jotting down new goals for a new year, asking God for His ideas, but of course! My own ideas would be only average, pretty small, dull and well, this year I hope to take more risks. To step out more often on the high wire of faith--and see what happens.

Life is so short and I am determined not to spend these few years letting satan push me into dark corners. Who wants to spend the majority of their allotted days on this planet dragging around the house, wearing thick cloaks of self-pity? Certainly not me.

I remember sitting in our church one night in Nevada, pondering what a huge plunge Tom and I had taken, moving from our (extremely predictable) hometown to a whole other state. And suddenly I realized that no prince on a white horse, no group of rescuers, either, would ride up to our door if we made wrong decisions there in Nevada.

No, we were truly adults now and on our own. Well, on our own with God, so it would behoove us, I mused, to listen and do things His way, for (ultimately), we could only count on Him to keep us out of trouble--or get us out.

And maybe that sounds simple, but it was a light bulb moment for me. One of those moments in Time when you feel you grew up a notch.

So lead away, dear Lord, is what I say. Please keep me on high roads and out of ditches. Out of darkness and in the Light. Out of fear and in Your confidence. Out of depression and into joy. Out of soul strife and into deepest, sweetest peace.

And may God through my New Year's Resolutions for 2011 lead me to all those good places as only He can. And may I glimpse each of you frolicking in those places, too.



************


~ A determined soul will do more with a rusty monkey wrench than a loafer will accomplish with all the tools in a machine shop. ~
... Robert Hughes


************



"Guard your heart above all else, for it determines the course of your life."
Proverbs 4:23 ... New Living Translation



************

6 comments:

Patty H. said...

Wonderful post!!
Blessings
Patty H.

Rita said...

An encouraging post in difficult times. Thank you.

Elizabeth said...

Love this post Debra!

Pat said...

I loved your prayer near the end of this post, and I echo your words. Life is indeed very short, lets walk in faith and joy down that road!

Odie Langley said...

More good words to live by. Thanks
Odie

Kristi in the Western Reserve said...

I like resolutions, and almost need to remake them every morning, not just once a year. But it's good to have one time a year especially dedicated to thinking about this. I liked this post a lot, Debra. God bless you and Tom! (As I know he does!)