Friday, December 24, 2010

Of Christmas Eve and Another Eve (Perhaps)

Christmas Eve. Can you believe it? Didn't the new year begin, like, just 6 weeks ago?

Lots of people remark about how each year spins past us faster and quicker than the previous one. I so agree! And lately, that thought brings this verse to my mind:

"And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect's sake those days shall be shortened." Matt. 24:22

And okay, okay... Jesus technically was talking about the Tribulation. But still, I wonder. I wonder if somehow He's shortening these Tribulation Eve Days for us. Maybe? I don't recall Time ever zooming by so noticeably before for all of us. Or many, many of us, anyway.

Maybe you think I'm stretching that thought a bit--and you're probably right. And yet? I still think something is up. Something has changed. Something is different and not as it was before. I can't shake that thought away.

Oh well, that's just an idea for you to mull over on this Christmas Eve. No matter what is going on, these are certainly exciting times in which to be alive, times which require that we become warriors, not whiners (so it would behoove me to stop oft whining in this blog!) :)

Merry Christmas to each of you, my treasured Readers.

6 comments:

Rita said...

Times have changed in many ways and like you said the days just speed right by. My best friend inherited a lot of money and is now someone I don't even know. We were so much alike. (I thought) :) So now I grieve the loss and know that God will send other friends. Hard Christmas in some ways and yet such a restful, peaceful one. I've made candy and giving it away, seeing smiles, brings joy to the days. I think you are "right on" in that things have changed. We will see what God has in store for the New Year. :)

Dolores Lynn said...

Merry Christmas Debra, Tom, and Naomi!

Jan said...

When you are two a year is half your life. When you a 50 a year is a fiftieth of you life! Thats why as you get older it goes faster!
This, being my 67th Christmas, time is really flying!

Debra said...

Rita--thanks for sharing your story with me. I appreciate it much. Merry Christmas to you!

Dolores--Thanks for your good wishes. Merry Christmas from my house to yours! :)

Jan--Yes, I've heard that before. But this is something different. :) People of all ages keep saying that time is going faster than they ever remember before and, well, I am intrigued! Something is in the air, something is going on; I just feel it (yes, you may insert the Twilight Zone theme song here....heh) Merry Christmas to you!

Thanks, Everyone...Debra

Odie Langley said...

Times and values have changed for so many people but I am holding firm to the important spirit of God and our responsibility to serve him. We can't be swayed to fit into their mold. Hope you and Tom have the happiest Christmas ever.
Odie

Aunt Amelia's Attic said...

Sending you Happy Christmas wishes...

As to time flying by faster, I think it's mostly age. Everything looks different, as we get on toward being *Olden.* :-)

Gentle Christmas hugs...