Monday, November 15, 2010

The (Not So) Great Weekend Blog Search

So this weekend I discovered an online list of perhaps one-hundred Christian women's blogs. I was excited--oh, the potential! Some new blogs for my blogroll.

Friday, Saturday, Sunday, hours and hours later, I did not add one single blog to my sidebar. Honest, I tried to give each blog a chance. I read five or more posts from 70 blogs, often staying longer than that.

And ok. I confess I'm probably a blog snob.

But oh dear... all the sad Christian women out there! Sad because their own plans had died along the road since their teenage-dreamy days or their weddings or the births of their children. Oh, the disappointment which now colors their days with brown or grey hopelessness.

In other blogs, posts never dived beneath the surface. Instead, whole paragraphs said: "Today I did the laundry. After that I went grocery shopping. I came home and folded towels. Made dinner. Went to bed." Miles and miles of that.

Some of the blogs had shut down, like ghost towns. Each final post usually stated forms of this depressing sentence: "I just don't have anything to write about anymore."

Other bloggers wrote the same ol' 'churchese' I've heard since the 1960's. I mean, yes! Tell me the old, old story, but please, can you share it a new way? And share what God told you, rather than always sharing what He told others?

I mean, look at Ann Voskamp. Nearly everyone adores her blog and probably for myriad reasons. I'm certain of one of those: You never know ahead what will greet you there. Her words won't parrot her pastor's, her women's small group leader or what she heard in Sunday School whole decades ago as a child. God gives it to her fresh.

Ann V. is plugged-in. You can tell.

(And yes, Ann also has a writing gift, but even without that, you know she would never go all surface talk on us week after week.)

Oh my, God's mercies and truths really are new every morning! And if only each of us Christian women would lean our ears so close to His heart, well, maybe we'd start believing His thoughts rather than our own negative, whiny, discouraged ones. Maybe we'd have fresh hope and new words to blog every new morning ... or afternoon or night.

And perhaps we'd be excited to live in these oh-so-challenging days, rather than wish they were over so we could escape to Heaven.

God needs warriors with fresh vision and tons of hope and courage to spread across this world. And I feel He's aching to use us, Christian women bloggers, to spread all that, everywhere. With newness.

Oh, that we all would stay plugged-in.




************



I think she says it better: Six Things Every Christian Blogger Needs to Know


"Sing unto God a new song, for He has done marvelous things. His right hand and His holy arm have gotten Him the victory." ... Psalm 98:1


*************


John 14:27
"... Do not let your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid. [Stop allowing yourselves to be agitated and disturbed; and do not permit yourselves to be fearful and intimidated and cowardly and unsettled.]" ... Amplified

12 comments:

Odie Langley said...

I have had some of the same problems. Please a moment and try these 2 sites.
http://www.proverbs31.org/
http://www.incourage.me

I get them every day on my email.
Odie

Brenda@CoffeeTeaBooks said...

I know what you mean.

I have found my favorite blogs usually by reader's recommendations and rarely from an outside lists.

Love Ann's writing!

Donetta said...

:)
Has a bit to do with my absence in the blog. I been a bit winy so just felt like a muffle was in order till i got my attitude turned round right.

Good refresher course here :)
so say what is your favorite thing about today?

Patty H. said...

I visited Ann's blog! Thanks for the link. I'm afraid I'm one of the 'bad' bloggers you've talked about. I want to be positive, be uplifting etc. I blogged about some negative thoughts this morning. I'm trying.
Blessings
Patty H.

Sara said...

Amen!

Anonymous said...

My favorite is Amy's Humble Musings.
She is so bright, positive, funny, and a Christian mom of six, married to a rocket scientist. Really.
nancyr

Kristi in the Western Reserve said...

I didn't know Ann's blog, and enjoyed reading it this morning. An interesting post, Deb. Surely being a Christian should make us aware of the blessings all around, and make us happy and joy-filled.

I think counting ones blessings is essential! Every day!

emma said...

i think the better thing to do is to uplift and encourage. Maybe some just need a positive encourager/mentor in their life. Maybe some really just do blogging for their own pleasure. I keep my household chore list on facebook because i know that by publishing it for the world, i will be held more accountable, but it does not make for good reading.

Women get enough flak from the world for not being good enough in most things that are attempted. Christian women need to work really hard not to fall into that category, but rather, let us encourage each other to do better...to strive for our best in all we do, including blogging.

Debra said...

Thanks for the blog recommendations, everyone! I am checking them out and they are delightful.

Emma--I'm sorry you read my blog as "flak." It wasn't. Here, below, was my encouragement for we as women to come up higher (I refuse to pat women on the back and say, "Just keep doing the same sad things you're doing and everything will miraculously be ok):

"Oh my, God's mercies and truths really are new every morning! And if only each of us Christian women would lean our ears so close to His heart, well, maybe we'd start believing His thoughts rather than our own negative, whiny, discouraged ones. Maybe we'd have fresh hope and new words to blog every new morning ... or afternoon or night.

And perhaps we'd be excited to live in these oh-so-challenging days, rather than wish they were over so we could escape to Heaven.

God needs warriors with fresh vision and tons of hope and courage to spread across this world. And I feel He's aching to use us, Christian women bloggers, to spread all that, everywhere. With newness.

Oh, that we all would stay plugged-in."


Thanks, Everyone.... Debra

Donetta said...

:)
contentment....a lost art.

Myrna said...

You and Ann's blog are my favorite 'inspirational blogs'
Just sayin'..

Anonymous said...

Need to keep testing my blog. Not working as I want it to yet. Thx for the theme. Maybe this will get mine to look better..