Sunday, November 07, 2010

The Blogs I Love


I'm not sure why, but usually on Sundays you'll find me searching for new blogs. I do love a new good blog discovery. It's like finding a beautiful book in amongst dusty old (boring) volumes in a thrift shop.


So this morning during my gift of an extra hour, I discovered a Top Ten List of Christian Blogs. I clicked on most of the links, read snippets and felt, well, mostly sorry.


I don't know. There was so much traditional stuff, you know, the rules I've heard preached since the 1960's. And complication. Big words. And one hugely popular blogger said he'd killed his blog without meaning to. Another was wondering why, after doing things right, God hadn't blessed her like He'd promised.


Those were the good blogs.


And you know what I did? I raced back here, breathing hard, almost. To my own blog. To all of you, my friends, in my sidebar. And I felt safe and happy and grateful. And free.


Oh, what freedom when you really know God and He really knows you because you stopped running from Him. When you cease relying on the rules and lost-their-life-decades-ago traditions to save you. When you stop praying for everyone else to start behaving and, instead, you pray that God will help you behave, no matter what that entails.


And you love, love, love and enjoy, enjoy, enjoy. Life. People. And most of all, God.


I want most to find those authors. The free and enjoying ones.


Have any to recommend? Please leave their addresses in my comment box, ok? Always I'm searching for more blogs, more friends to add to my sidebar so they'll be waiting here for me when I return, huffing, from scary, oh-too-familiar territory.




*************


One of my very favorite things? I love listening to her playlist while I surf the Net or even while I clean the house. I've never before met anyone who has the exact same taste in music that I do. It's uncanny. And it's a delight.




*************

Now, part of me is hesitating to recommend this documentary. It's not for everyone, ok? Not. For. Everyone. But Tom and I watched In The Realms of The Unreal yesterday (on instant view through Netflix) and I came away more inspired than I've felt in, well, maybe years. Inspired to faithfully do what God has called me to do, all my distractions be darned.

Er hem. It also reminded me of why God so passionately says that it would be better for someone to never have been born rather than to have damaged a child. Henry Darger had a hurtful childhood--and I believe--he never recovered from it.

Anyway, here's the YouTube video of the preview of In The Realms of The Unreal. Some of you won't like this documentary, ok? But others of you, especially you artist types? It will inspire your socks off, too. And it's for you that I'm even mentioning this.



***************

My grandfather would have turned 105 today. Wow. He passed away 28 years ago, but I still miss him. The only grandfather I ever knew, he was the sweetest one ever upon Earth.

6 comments:

Odie Langley said...

I really enjoy listening to the music and seeing the cottage. I am one of the ones that couldn't quite get into the other link. Have a great day.
Odie

Laura said...

Ugh. Sorry I haven't commented lately. It's been kind of crazy around here. But I've been reading here and there and trying to keep up and of course, loving all your posts. I'm posting my Sunday links today and thought of you with one of them. A whole list of farmhouse blog links. Not all of them were awesome, but it was still fun to run through them and see different places and people.

Have a great Sunday!

Kim said...

Here's two blogs that I love. Warren is a mutual friend of both Fawn and I. He is wise, unreligious, kind. A teacher and a student who loves
God and seeks to know Him more each day.
http://laudehays.wordpress.com/

The other is also written by a teacher (literally), a [former] restaurant owner, a Christian - who like Warren, is wise and nonjudgmental. His father-in-law (or his father) has Alzheimer's. I found him on my friend Rosemary's blog. He lives here in Durham. We have not met yet, but I would like to someday.

http://donteatalone.blogspot.com/

Storybook Woods said...

Thank you for posting, I am very interested in The Realms of The Unreal xoxo Clarice

Anonymous said...

I had not seen this post till now. Thank you Debra for posting about The Realm of the Unreal. I watched the link you gave and then the 12 of the movie. I too came away changed. I am Passing it on to another I know will also be grateful for seeing it. They will no doubt watch it on Netflex. Thankyou again. Sarah

Debra said...

Thanks, Everyone, for your comments and for the links, too.

And Sarah, thanks so much for letting me know you'd watch In the Realms of the Unreal! I'm so happy you enjoyed it (you must be a real kindred spirit to have liked it the way I did....smile...). Wasn't it so inspiring! I'm still reeling that he did all that writing and art and never even showed it to anyone... I hope your friend enjoys it, too!

Blessings, Debra