Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Contented, But Still Dreaming

I enjoy peeking at real estate in our area online.

Sometimes I do real estate searches for friends of ours who want to move, sometimes (like now, I confess) I take online looks at houses and their rooms, features and prices so I'll be better-informed when we buy a house later. Someday will come and I'll be prepared.

It's fun. It's recreation. For me, anyway.

It's a free way to dream and imagine and redecorate--I imagine how I would have decorated the sellers' homes so to sell them faster. It's a way to practice one's math skills, also. You know, if we sell this house for x amount and we buy another house for y amount then subtract z amount for the equity we've built, then how much will our new house payments be?

Contentment is a fine balance. I try to be content where I am on the way to where I am going. I should be traveling ahead, not standing still while clinging to the oldy, moldy ways, refusing to move with the Times (this is a major reason ministries die). I want to be content (and grateful) today, yet still envision myself someplace else tomorrow. I'm happy with what I know this morning, yet always, I should be learning something new.

It's when I've veered into a boring rut and sit there that I'm discontented, for there is no new life in boring ruts. Only sameness and the death of what used to be alive for me, but is now lying there flat, used-up, like an empty tube of toothpaste.

Content now, but dreaming and working and seeing myself in a better place on a new day. (And I'm not just talking houses here.) That is where I want to be--out there on the road which is always changing because I am changing how I walk there and how I see it.


**********

The Apostle Paul had to learn to be content. So do we. Contentment does not just Poof! plop into our heads. Uh, no.


**********


Behold! He makes all things new.

3 comments:

Lisa in Texas = ) said...

Debra~ As always a great post. We do need to learn to be content. Many times we get so focused on a bad thing/things that we just can't see how good we really have it.
Hope you have a wonderful day! Oh by the way - this morning it was like 73 degrees and felt SO good. I just had to mow the yard and get some weed eating done - while it was cool. And it was SO refreshing!!

Lisa :O)

Deborah Raney said...

I thought I was the only one! I LOVE realtor.com and looking at homes for the same reasons you do. I rarely look at anything over $150,000. I love to dream about how I could fix up a house and make it OUR dream home. I always saw it as sort of a guilty pleasure, but thanks to you, I see now that it has all sorts of benefits. And hey, it beats endless games of online Solitaire! : )

Dapoppins said...

I was just going to add about Paul learning to be content with both the lean times and the good times...heh. But your right. He had to learn to be content in both.