Thursday, June 24, 2010

They Probably Don't Decorate Like This In Los Angeles

We had an earthquake yesterday! The third one I recall in our 17 years in Western New York. You should have heard all my dishes chinking.
I stood in front of our refrigerator and watched my 1940's metal canisters above it shaking together, but I felt nothing beneath my shoes, so I wondered if our refrigerator was considering blowing-up. But then that's when I heard all those dishes in the dining room.

Nothing fell, nothing shattered. During our escrow time in 2008, our inspector told us this was a good, solid house. Yesterday he was proven right.



************



In other news.... I keep getting complaining email forwards about our government leaders from certain friends and read their bordering-on-bitter updates at Facebook. And lately my silent reply has been this: "Martha, Martha, you are worried and upset about many things..." Heh. You know, from Luke 10.

But what I want is to view things the way God sees them. And He is not worried. He is not sitting in Heaven mumbling about the U.S. government, nor having stomach aches and throwing up His hands while asking, "Well, what are you gonna do?"

There's a verse which says God sits in Heaven and laughs at His enemies. And there are verses saying His day will come, The Day when vengeance will be His and all will be judged and righted right-side-up--including us here in Blogland (lest we forget). But in the meantime, He's not having a miserable, worried time. In fact, Jesus is interceding for us all, He wants no one to perish and He's not rejoicing when people mess up, either, for 1 Corinthians 13 says love doesn't do that.

So count me out of emailing flurries of worried, complaining political emails. Instead, I so long to choose the other half of that Martha, Martha verse above, the part which says, "but only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her."

That's why I ask myself often, "Hey! Are you becoming more like Martha or Mary?" To me, that's the real question of the day.


**************


Now, am I advocating being passive and all que sera sera? Uh, no. If God has called you to physically go out and make changes in our government, well, more power to you! Go out and prosper and be blessed. But it's just that I can't believe God calls any of us to huddle in little groups and whine and complain and worry and pass around the aspirin bottle for our stress headaches just because things aren't happening the way we wish they would. Prayer, is a better choice--confident, unafraid, believing, trusting prayer. That's what I believe, anyway.


**************

"Peace, be still." ... An excellent verse for the heart.

No comments: