Saturday, June 19, 2010

The Most Important Thing I Know

Probably in this blog I've told you dozens of changes God has made in my life since 1994. You regular readers could probably instantly list a few.

But there is one change which outshines all the rest. One change which began the avalanche of other changes which then led to nearly constant peace and joy during normal ol' days.

And that one major, major change comes from this verse:

"He that loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me." ... Matthew 10:37

See, I used to read that verse, hang my sorry head and think, "Wow. I greatly admire God and am grateful for Him, of course. But oh my. I think I love just about everybody more than I love Him!" And that brought guilt. And guilt! Guilt is like a wall which blocks out His light. We hide behind that wall because we are embarrassed that we mess-up. A lot.

And oh... how much we miss while crouching behind that wall.

Well, 1994 rolled around and God showed me the key to breaking down walls of guilt, to allowing His incredible light to shine upon me and to truly loving Him more than everybody else.

What's the key?

Wanting God. Wanting more of God. Wanting God more than anything or anyone else.

More than a larger house, lots of friends, nicer furniture. More than wanting people to think well of me, more than a job, a vacation, or more money, a healing, a godly family, great clothes, Bible memorization, or paying-off loans in the name of stewardship. More than even being viewed as a loving, giving person or having a greater ministry or being the most amazing, sold-out Christian who ever stepped upon the planet. (Yes, really, more than even that last one.)

Again, the key to continual peace and joy begins here:

Want God.
Want to know Him, not just about Him.
More than anything else, want more of God.
And mean it.

What if you don't currently want Him like that? Well, just want to want it, then. Even the desire for more of Him comes from Him. All true, real, permanent things come from God. Nowhere does He say that we must spin around and try real, real hard and chant things over and over and strain and struggle to get what He's holding out to us in His opened hand.

All good gifts come from the Father. Our job, then, is to receive. Receive what He's aching to give us if only we'd stop trying to earn it. There is no earning God. There is only receiving.

He so wants to give us Himself. His presence. Oh, His life-altering presence! That is the key, too. It's within that presence where we'll know the fullness of joy. And it's with that joy that we find our strength to do all things. And acceptance--blessed, blessed acceptance as only a Father can accept His child, warts and mistakes and all. And it's in His presence where bondage is broken and we are freed to fly.

Want to want Him.
More than anything else.
And see what happens.
I dare you to begin this adventure.



***************


"It may be said without qualification that every man is as holy and as full of the Spirit as he wants to be. He may not be as full as he wishes he were, but he is most certainly as full as he wants to be." ... A. W. Tozer


***************


"... I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ,

And be found in him, not having my own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith:

That I may know him..." ... Philippians 3:8-10



"For every one that asks, receives; and he that seeks, finds; and to him that knocks, it shall be opened." ... Luke 11:10

3 comments:

Lisa in Texas = ) said...

Wow - this goes right along with a sermon I heard just today. God wants to be our everything! It is so cool how you wrote about the very thing that I have been thinking about ever since that sermon.
Have a good day,
Lisa :o)

Laura said...

I've prayed in the past, a prayer similar to the "I believe, help my unbelief" - "I want you, LORD create in me a desire for you." He has been so faithful.

The book Crazy Love discusses something similar to your post where the author poses a question about heaven. What if heaven contained everyone you loved, all the good things about living on earth, great food, all the comforts of life, no illness, no tears, no sadness at all. But no Christ. Would that be ok?

Ouch. That was eye opening for me because it didn't sound too bad. And I knew that was a devastating description of the condition of my heart and God began that day to create a strong desire for only Him. Then my daughter was diagnosed with a fatal disease. Then my son too. And I had to walk through imagining losing some of the people I loved most in the world. And while the idea of it still brings me to my knees and He's still walking me out of a life of fear, the idea of all this loss also brings me to God and I'm so grateful for the constant perspective.

Vicki said...

Oh thank you for this! Came here to thank you for such a lovely comment at my blog recently and thoroughly enjoyed my visit here! I would love to sit a spell and chat over coffee or tea with you. You've raised such wonderful soul-searching thoughts on these pages...thank you!

You know what I'm thinking? That none of us love Him or want Him like we should. But He, in His wisdom and love, removes all the "shoulds." Because in the language of grace, we're eventually swept up by His unfathomable love...because sooner or later, we find ourselves completely broken. Some admit (myself included) coming to a point in life where temporal things no longer move us; relationships disappoint. Desperation creates deep desire for more of Him. At least this is my case:-) It's His doing, not mine - He draws me. He knows me. Little by little we suffer loss; little by little we come to know Him...really *know* Him...through the fellowship of His sufferings.

Much love & blessings!
Vicki