Friday, May 07, 2010



So does anyone else remember that appetite suppressant commercial where the announcer says, "You will never lose weight until you can control your appetite!"?


Well, when it comes to feelings, here's what I say, "You will never grow-up until you can control your feelings!"


Yes, really.


That was true for me, anyway, and some friends of mine, too. The whole pack of us spent years saying these sorts of things:


"I feeeel so ugly in these clothes."

"You hurt my feeeelings."


"I feeeel like no one loves me.


"He makes me feeel like a loser."

"I feeeel mad at the whole world."


"I feeeel like I'll never get out of debt."


"I feeeel sad so I'm just gonna lay on the couch all day and go with that."


Feeeeelings......... Woe, woe, woe feeeeelings..... (as the singer croones...)


Fortunately, for most of us, there arrives a time when we just get sick of being slapped around and knocked down and controlled by our lousy, lying, pathetic feelings.


There comes a time when we move into Living By What I Know to Be True.


"I know that God loves me. I know that the people in my life love me, too."


"I know that I've been made a new person in Christ."


"I know that someday the circumstances in my life will be better. I know that in the meantime God will comfort me and show me what to do next."


"I know that God can help me overcome my fears."


"I know that God wants me to live with His daily joy, for that is my strength."


I know... I know... I know...


Living by what I know rather than what I feeeeel has been huge. And continues to be so. I highly recommend it.



***********

John 8:32
Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."



*********

1 John 4:16
And so we know and rely on the love God has for us.

5 comments:

Lisa in Texas = ) said...

Great post. Thank you so very much. I was truly blessed by it. It made me smile when I read the word "pathetic" I can't really explain it but it is like I have not used the word in a long time and then two times this week I had used it and then to see it written it. It caught my attention and I knew this message was for me. Isn't it cool how God speaks to us?
Have a great day!
Lisa :o)

Patty H. said...

Good post.

Laura said...

I'm so excited to be on the edge of this - to be ready to pick a fight with my feelings instead of letting them bully me around. Been long enough already.

I started going to see a counselor a while ago and on the first session, my homework was to go through the week and try to note how many times I used the phrase "I feel". Shockingly humbling experience. I feel a lot. And God created me to do this. But He didn't create me to be controlled by those feelings. He created me to know and believe Him, not emotions that come and go given a bag of m&ms and a cherry coke.

Sarira said...

Hey Deborah,

This is a great post!

Thanks for sharing :D

Sarira

Melissa said...

A true and wise post! I'm very much encouraged in my walk with Jesus by reading your blog. Thank you for writing!